Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Holy Crap!!!!!!

Fishbonker

Life Member
http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Co...Service=Billbook&menu=false&ga=84&hbill=S5027

SF 2113 (formerly SSB 3058) was on the Senate floor for debate today. This is the bill for tagging tree stands. There was an amendment offered today, the amendment was ruled out of order, which pretty much means it is non-germane to the bill and was therefore not added to the bill.

I would like you to follow the link, read the amendment (bottom of the split screen, amendment 5027) and tell me if you have the same reaction I did. OK, for those of you who would rather just read the short version, Senator Chelgren of district 47, proposed an amendment very similar to a bill from last year that was defeated regarding NR landowners. I guess my point is even with the funnel date in the rearview mirror amendments like this one can still pop up. As of this writing I don’t know which Senator spoke against this amendment but I think I like him/her. As an aside, Mr. Chelgren won the senate district 47 race in 2010 by 10 votes. District 47 is SE Iowa, I can’t find a current map of the district (they are all of the new districts) but I believe it includes Oskaloosa, Ottumwa and Bloomfield.

Oh yeah, the bill passed with amendment 5017 exempting stands on private lands from the tagging requirements. What is unclear though, to me anyway, is the wording of the amendment says “stands erected or placed by the land owner need not be tagged”. Does that mean if I put a stand on my neighbor’s land, with his permission, that I need to put a tag on the stand because I’m not the landowner?

The bill now goes to the house for action. I believe the house can pass the senate version or come up with their own. If the house version is different than the senate’s version then there will be a committee formed by the house and senate to iron out any differences then re-voted on by both chambers.

I hope they get the tagged stand legislation through. I'm tired of seeing tree stands on public ground that stay there for years and never get taken down. It happens alot in my area. I'm not the type to hunt someones stand and would rather be able to contact someone to work something out or have a CO take them down if they are not being used. Some people just hang them and leave them for good.....then guys like me don't know if someone is hunting or they are trash. Tagging would make people more likely to follow the public land regs, which helps people like me who try to live by the rules.

Isn't there a rule on public land that you have to take your stands down after the season? I was shed hunting a couple of pieces of public last weekend and was surprised to find several stands still up and was wondering why the DNR isn't enforcing that law? I could be wrong.

On public land your aloud to have your stands up 7 days before the season and clear through 7 days after. And if you call your co they will come and tear them out i have had to call on a few stands this year and they were out the next day, dnr doesnt go looking for left behind stands but if you tell them then they will enforce.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was a week before and after the season but I didn't know if that rule had changed. Thanks for confirming.

Very shady. Vote the bastard out!

If I had voted for this guy I would write him a letter letting him

know I was very disappointed in what he tried to do and let him know

that he would not get my vote next time around.

It is amazing how soon they forget that they work for us.

Thanks Tom for keeping up on this. :way:

If I had voted for this guy I would write him a letter letting him

know I was very disappointed in what he tried to do and let him know

that he would not get my vote next time around.

It is amazing how soon they forget that they work for us.

Thanks Tom for keeping up on this. :way:

Yeah, didn't mean to pull this off track.....thanks for keeping an eye out Tom.

Maybe we should start a thread with his name in the title so all his constituents that use IW can see he needs to GO!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Yes he lives in Ottumwa He tried this last year and didn't make it. It is a family issue with him as some of his family lives out of the state. He was told last year all they have to do to hunt here is buy NR doe tag guess he doesn't want to do that. Have heard very strong supporters of his party they will not vote for him again.

Yes he lives in Ottumwa He tried this last year and didn't make it. It is a family issue with him as some of his family lives out of the state. He was told last year all they have to do to hunt here is buy NR doe tag guess he doesn't want to do that. Have heard very strong supporters of his party they will not vote for him again.

If your in his district get the word out and vote that sucker out! Should raise a few eyebrows up in the state house for next years session!

Also, it looks like Senator Dearden needs a Christmas card from every iowa hunter out there to start of the session next year!

Last edited:
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/pubs/sjweb/pdf/February 27, 2012.pdf

BUSINESS PENDING
[FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]Senate File 2113 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]
[/FONT]The Senate resumed consideration of [FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]Senate File 2113[/FONT][/FONT], a bill for an act relating to the identification of owners of blinds and stands for hunting deer and making penalties applicable, previously deferred.
Senator Chelgren offered amendment S–5027, filed by him from the floor to page 1 and amending the title page of the bill.
Senator Dearden raised the point of order that amendment S–5027 was not germane to the bill.
The Chair ruled the point well-taken and amendment S–5027 out of order.
Senator Schoenjahn moved that the bill be read the last time now and placed upon its passage, which motion prevailed by a voice vote, and the bill was read the last time.
On the question ―Shall the bill pass?‖ (S.F. 2113), the vote was:
Yeas, 26:
Beall Dotzler Horn Rielly
Black Dvorsky Jochum Schoenjahn
Bolkcom Fraise Kibbie Seng
Bowman Gronstal Mathis Sodders
Courtney Hancock McCoy Wilhelm
Danielson Hatch Quirmbach
Dearden Hogg Ragan
Nays, 24:
Anderson Chelgren Hamerlinck Seymour
Bacon Dix Houser Smith
Bartz Ernst Johnson Sorenson
Behn Feenstra Kapucian Ward
Bertrand Greiner Kettering Whitver
Boettger Hahn McKinley Zaun
Absent, none.
The bill, having received a constitutional majority, was declared to have passed the Senate and the title was agreed to.

I can understand why he wants to have his family hunt with him here in

Iowa. What I don't understand is how he can go against his constituents

wishes and the hunters that reside in Iowa.

I think he is being selfish and trying to use his power to get what he wants. They will never learn. :thrwrck:

Top Bottom