Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Home made cover scent/eliminators

that's pretty cool Rudd, it'd beat me giving the pine trees in my area a great big hug for cover scent, it'd be a lot less painfull too!!

I'm not a real big fan of any kind of scents, but I really like the idea of gathering up deer poop and sprinkling it around you area...
applause.gif
applause.gif

Let see here....deer droppings in a zip lock bag in the freezer.....wife makes rasin cookies.....
doah.gif

I became a firm beleiver in that homemade stuff last season! I've allways been one for not using anything but last season where I had my blind set up the wind would not cooperate. I mainly sprayed it on my hat and mask but doused the inside of the blind with it. I never got blown once last year and I had alot of deer less that 10 yds. downwind of me. I'm hooked for life on the stuff. The only drawback is it will leave a white residue on dark colored objects when it dries but it washes off.
waytogo.gif

That's great. I have been using 2 gallons of cabela's scent X-Terminator a year. Saves me about sixty bucks a year.
waytogo.gif
Thanks for the site.

Hey Ruddbow and all! Just wanted to let you all know that this does work great, but if you spray it on your bow it leaves a white residue on anything non-fabric. It does kill the scent of anything that would be on your equipment but you should wipe down your gear after you spray it so there is no residue.

Great site too you guys!

Scott
Webmaster and slave to Bowzone.ca
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Scott....welcome to the site. Lots of great guys here and tons of information on whitetails.

Good to have you aboard!
waytogo.gif

well, i made a batch of this so called homemade scent killer last week and tested it out tonite. instead of testing it on a deer's nose i used it on mine. here was the test subject, my trashcan after leftover deer scraps and 4 poopy diapers (from a recent babysitting episode) and left it sit for a week. oh my God, i about yacked when i opened the thing up and removed the garbage bag. i would've done it sooner but garbage is only once a week and you can't put it out early. ANYWAY, i sprayed down the inside of the poor garbage can and there is absolutely ZERO smell associated now. the cost of a gallon of this stuff is perfect. about a dollar for the peroxide and a little over a dollar for a crap load of baking soda. the sport wash was $8. will test it out on deer next week and my feet later tonite.

Thats good to hear! I just made some earlier tonight and letting it sit for a few days! I hope it works because i'm still having some trouble with scent, and I hope this is my ticket!
jason

Ok. I don't do the laundry so what in the world is sports wash and where do I get it?

mole

i used Hunter Specialties scent free clothes wash...i assume it's teh same thing and since it made the garbage, my feet, and the cat box all smell like nothing i still assume it must be the right stuff.
waytogo.gif

Mole does your wife site your bow in for you to. How can you let your wife be in charge of tackeling the deers number one defence.

Maybe thats why I can't seem to hit anything with my bow.
jester.gif
I do my hunting clothes with baking soda. If my wife had her way all of my clothes would smell like a bed of roses
grin.gif
I always play dumb when it comes to the laundry. I figure if she thinks I'll mess it up then she won't aske me to do it.
busted.gif
She did buy some scent free laundry soap last week. Some off brand, I'll give it a try and let you know.

mole

...how long did you guys let the mix sit before you used it?...the recipe says several days for the reaction to settle...how many is that?...

I know this was quite some time ago but does anyone on here still have the recipe for this? I tried the link at the top but I can't find the recipe anywhere.

i saw a similar recipe in Field and Stream a couple of months ago. Not sure which month though. I'll try and check tonight unless someone else knows.

Top Bottom