Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Homebrews

risto2351

I was wondering if some of you could please show of your homebrews? Possibly tell what type of camera/case/board etc?

Looking at doing a few more a little different.

Also is everyone using the flash bleed gasket or just being real careful when trimming the holes?
Does anyone ever use the packets that supposedly takes moisture out of the camera?

Thanks everyone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if some of you could please show of your homebrews? Possibly tell what type of camera/case/board etc?

Looking at doing a few more a little different.

Also is everyone using the flash bleed gasket or just being real careful when trimming the holes?
Does anyone ever use the packets that supposedly takes moisture out of the camera?

Thanks everyone </div></div>

I use the FB gaskets and I tried just using the foam but it tore a little and did bleed thru.

FlashBleedGasket.jpg

This is how I did mine:

FirstCam.jpg

Firstcamoutside.jpg

I do use the silica package (metal one) and some of them need to be "dried" in the oven now! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Finished.jpg

Thanks Someday Ill get this uploading the picture figured out I have some more to ad but need to figure out why it wont work first

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfoutdoors</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is how I do most of my builds with the cam facing this way i caan check the pictures without removing the camera One on top is a p41 on the bottom a p32 Both in a 1040 case with my Bigfoot board http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/data/3146/collage16.jpg
</div></div>

Do you put something under the camera to hold it at the top of the case or is that more of a "press fit"? Just wondering if the camera has a tendency to want to fall out when opening the case!! I do really like the top mounted camera though!

I make a shelf /angle bracket that the camera sets on I use either the clear plastic corner molding you can buy to protect drywall or cut a piece out of a 19 cent new work pvc electrical box I get at lowes or home depot I mask it all off and paint the insides black when done so they look neater
Ahh I cant get it when I go to enter a image I am prompted in the toolbar that says "This website uses a scripted window to ask you for information. if you trust this website ,click here to allow scripted messages " I do then I get no picture just what is being added This=
showphoto.php

Re: Homebrews - anyone building?

I really enjoyed building my homebrews last winter (not as much as I enjoy using them but... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif )

Is anyone working on a homebrew trail cam project this winter?

Homebrew 101 projects

I enjoy seeing everyones versions and I'm interested in new boards and how they work.

These are a few pictures that Ironwood, Timberpig, Shredder and others shared with me that gave me ideas and helped with my build.

TeeHingeholder.jpg

TPCam.jpg

RyansTCPics.jpg

Caminbtmsetup.jpg

U-boltexample.jpg

I looked at the attributes of all of these and decided on the "cam in bottom" route so I didn't need to monkey with a shelf or holder. Mine just
sticks" in the bottom.

Finished.jpg

Cam2-1.jpg

Cam1.jpg

I use the gasket that comes with the Pelican and add adhesive foam behind the cam which snugs it up nicely with the foam on the case lid. A great trick is to lay a bead of black caulking between the flash and shutter holes which acts as a sort of "light dam" to kill any flash bleed. It gets covered up with the foam leaving everything looking all purdy.

Iowabowtech, nice looking set up. What size Pelican case is that? I was thinking of building one with the SSS board, looks pretty simple, I hope.....

Thats a pelican 1040, its a good case for a p41, not too much grinding. Theres a little more grinding on a p32.

My personal preference is putting the camera on top. That way if water ever did get into the camera for any reason, the camera would have a good chance of making it.

You guys sure have done a nice job on those cams and I feel it makes it so much more rewarding that you have done it yourself. Dont you guys feel the same? Let alone the quality of the pictures these cams can get
I do have a suggestion for all of you and please dont take this wrong Your cams look great A friend of mine George Dean is a Iowan who sells some trail cam parts on his website Trails End. Ive actually met him in person a couple times at his booth at the Classic. Anyhow he sells a seal for the Pelican cases for 3.50 You have 100s of dollars in the cams dont scrimp here. These seals are great. I recomend you try this. A good test is dunking the cam in your sink and if you see air bubbles then you know you are risking serious damage I dunk test each build after its finished and recommend you do the same.
Also I agree with Vman on putting the cameras on the top half also for the same reason. Ive also met Vman/Jason there also and it should kind of tell you how much I love the hunting and the people of Iowa.

My brother has been working on building them over the winter, he's used Sony P32, S40, P41, and now the Nikon L14. The L14 is the favorite so far along with the Snapshot Sniper boards and 1040 cases. Here is the newest setup with the Nikon L14 and SS, real clean setup and here are a couple pics, just pulled the cam at noon today. We'll be working on a few more of these and 2 video units...can't wait to see how those video units work!

109_0188.jpg

109_0187.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My personal preference is putting the camera on top. That way if water ever did get into the camera for any reason, the camera would have a good chance of making it. </div></div>

I learned this the hard way. I will never make one with the camera in the bottom again.

How is the water getting into your cams? Flooding, around holes drilled into the case, etc.? Just curious.

You guys are starting to get me irritated I see a couple of grand of your money sitting there and hours of labor building the cams. I am going to ask again You think your cam is waterproof so take the camera out and fill up your sink and dunk it in. I bet half of you probabally more see air bubbles coming out. If it didbnt put the camera in and try again Well thats a leak expensive electronics and water are a no no so its just a matter of time before you have issues and then it will more than likely be to late. I am going to say it again George Dean owns trails end and sells parts He is also from Iowa He sells a seal for 3 to 4 dollars that works better than anything I have tried
Here is a link to his site tHE SEAL IS CALLED "Woodland's Outdoor Case Seal" http://www.trailsendcams.com/Store%20Hardware.html
The bladder seal from pelican is not very good in our use Also if the camera is pressing on anything it will ruin the ability for it to seal.
So Please dont upset me any longer and at least check them

Nah Just having fun but I just wanted to get their attention I was surprised to see mine were the only cams with the seal installed Its such a important step to check the seal of the cam as all you have to do is get that p41 a little wet even damp and it will be ruined at batteries faster than you can believe

Went to Trails End's website and can not get thru. "www.trailsendcams.com"

Anyone else having a problem?

Top Bottom