Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Homemade bologna & summer sausage

CamoMan

Just wondering if anyone out there makes their own ring bologna or summer sausage. I bone out my deer, and keep the steaks, plus I grind up a lot for homemade jerky. I was thinking about trying my own bolgona this year, and wasn't sure just how to do it, and how good the 'home grown' kind will taste. One question I have is how do you cure/cook the bologna or summer sausage? I have a regular electric smoker, but it looks like a cold smoker, such as a Little Chief is needed. Appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks !

Here's a great recipe for venison Polish sausage. 7 lbs ground venison, 3 lbs. ground pork, 5Tbsp. salt,1 Tbsp. course ground pepper, 1/2tsp.garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp. Marjoram, 2 cups ice water. Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Stuff into 35-38mm. casings. Cook on the grill or stove. If you want it to have a smokey flavor, add 2tsp. of liquid smoke to the recipe. If you want to kick it up a bit add 1 or 2 tsp. of ground red pepper. I like it best put up like I do my burger. I freeze it in 1 1/2 lb. packages and cook it up like burgers on the grill. Real good! Enjoy.

Well CamoMan, I process all my deer myself and make my own sausage. I started with deer stix and branched out to Brats, polish sausage, keibasa, wieners etc. Other than a few failed experments that were still edible, they all turned out great and the fat content of my home-made sausages is much less than that of what you buy in the grocery stores. I give it to friends an relatives and they all love it too.

I use a Little Chief type smoker and finish in the oven with a meat thermometer. My best source of recipes has bee Eldon's Sausage supplys on the WEB. I use some of his pre-mix seasoning kits for stix, but he has free recipes out there you can print if you want to mix your own ingredients too. (I love his free bratwurst and Kiebasa ones and use them all the time) There is another supplier called "The Sausagemaker" too, but I like Eldon's just a little better. Also I will warn you ahead of time what you call ring bologna probably is not true emulsified bologna like the books and the recipes explain, it is most likely polish sausage or kiebasa in a ring.

Have fun, you can e-mail me at [email protected] if you want more info.

IaCraig

Shovelbuck,whats the easist way to grind up venison,Hand crank grinder or food processer? What do you use?
Your recipe sounds very good.I will try it.

Riflemanz, I've gotten lazy the last couple years and take mine in to be ground. I used a large food prosessor in the past though. The guy who grinds mine uses the old crank type, but it's a huge one with a motor attached.

Top Bottom