Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Homemade calls

C

chevy2

I have a question for all you experienced call makers out there. I've been attempting to make some friction calls and they are turning out OK except for one small detail, I can't find any slate! I've tried the lumberyard, Lowes, Menards, and even he local schools for some old blackboard with no luck. Any suggestions. Also trying aluminum but not sure what gauge to use. Thanks for the help.
Splitty
bouncefire.gif

There's probably somebody within e-mail distance that has tons of slate sitting in their yard right now that could mail you some... Do an internet search for turkey call making? and see if you can hook up with somebody. If that fails try a geology supply catalog like Wards - they sell samples of all kinds of rocks and minerals.

Thank's for the help guys! The web sights had alot of good info. I don't think I'll be making any calls as nice as Kaiser does right now but a guy has to start somewhere. My goal right now is to make a few nice calls that my friends and I can actually call in a turkey with. I just enjoy the challenge and figure if they can mass produce them in Tiawan and China then this midwest guy can surely make one just as good or better. Thanks again for the help!
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom