Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Honest opinions + Online Hunting show

cjgarrett

I am looking to hear some thoughts and feelings toward online hunting shows. I just read Sureshots thread on the hunting industry and it has me a little scared! :confused: I am thinking about making a You Tube hunting show this year, not for profit or recognition. But simply for the fact that i am passionate about filming, photography and most of all bow hunting! So i figure if someone else can get 10 minutes of enjoyment out of my hunt, great! Has anyone tried this before? I know that it is small scale but as i said before, I am doing it as a hobby.

I watch online hunting shows all the time. The midwest whitetails heartland show and Todd's whitetailsinc shows are the one's I watch every week. I'd probably watch yours too. I am also filming this year for the IowaBuckMen so hopefully I can get some good footage.

I'd look at the other 10 million that are doing it and ask myself if it was worth it.

Some are successful (by a wide range of standards) and some aren't, what makes the ones that are successful, that way?

I'd look at the other 10 million that are doing it and ask myself if it was worth it.

Some are successful (by a wide range of standards) and some aren't, what makes the ones that are successful, that way?

Yea but its no different than the 10 million people that are doing everything else... Anyone can do it, but doing it and doing it right are two different things. Other than the well known shows like Midwest whitetail and HB, You Tube is lacking decent hunting shows. Most of the shows that are on there are 2 minute self film kill shots.

I think that it all comes down to film quality, that is the reason why HB is so good! There quality of film is unreal. They film more like discovery channel vs. other hunting shows.

Last edited:
Do any of the you tube shows have a following? Honest question, what is the ultimate goal of doing this? 1. To show family and friends, or 2. become a youtube sensation and be "discovered?"

If it's 1, that I think it makes sense, if it's number 2, you're going to have to do a whole lot more than upload a show on youtube.

Last edited:
Do any of the you tube shows have a following?

Yea, there are a couple shows that get a lot of views! There are more people than i ever imagined surfing You Tube looking for hunting shows. I am seeing that a lot of people do not have cable to watch the big name shows. So if you can tell a story, make it enjoyable and have quality footage, you will get a following.

I am honestly doing it so that my family and friends can put their hunts out there. I really enjoy filming and especially filming hunts. But my dad and I along with another father/son group started a show 4 years ago. We worked the sponsors, went the the shot show and ata shows. Met a ton of cool people and even had a few offers for sponsorship. But they were all contingent on us getting 13 episodes so that we could air on the Sportsman channel. The money it was going to cost to run the show on TV was unreal!!! Everybody was on board to take a beating and pay out the rear end to get the show on TV but we did not get 13 shows... The first fall we went on a total of 3 elk hunts and deer hunting our butts off but only produced 5 kills on film between 4 guys. One of which we found out later on that we needed a special permit to film hunts in Wyoming national forest.... So needless to say it didn't happen. I am not interested in stressing over any of that again, just simply filming what i can film, piece it together and see what happens.

At first, it can be a little scary putting yourself out there. I've been doing it long enough now where criticism doesn't bother me too much. You need to know though; you can't make everyone happy. First, do something YOU want to do, something you want to see. Don't try to be anyone else - it's "you" that makes you special.

Be careful about how much you show though. There are some real creeps out there that will literally try to steal your ground and opportunities.

The most important thing - HAVE FUN! You won't make money doing this - so don't go into it thinking you will.

Go for it. What do you have to lose? The hardest part is the initial jump.....after that, it's easy. Have fun, don't take it too seriously, and who cares what anyone else thinks. People will enjoy it.

Thanks guys! I actually just watched the latest blog on Trophy Pursuit this morning! And i watched the latest Whitetails Inc last week. I follow the online shows more than the TV stuff. You get to see the passion and not so much the sponsors.

Not to mention, you will permanently "capture" some of the greatest (and worst) moments of your life. I think about when I have kids someday, I can only imagine how fun it will be to watch old videos we made with them, and they can see the deer on the wall - while it was alive!

For me, just to get footage of all these whitetails (regardless of a kill); man, just so sweet to be able to re-live!!! Sharing the hunt is my favorite aspect probably. Good luck - have fun, and be safe man!

Top Bottom