Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Honey Creek Destination Park-Lake Rathbun

Jdubs

I just read that a contract has been approved by the state of Iowa for the construction of Honey Creek Park at Lake Rathbun. With the initial phases scheduled to begin in the Summer of 2008, at 19.3 million, it sounds like a heck of a project targeting the outdoor rec enthusiast. It says that a 18 hole golf course is already under way. It's the first I've heard of this, what do you folks in SC Iowa think??

I think this is the second time its been bid on. The first bidder came in very low and realized he couldnt do the job at that price. The project should have been half done by now.

I'm not from SC Iowa and I'm sure it'll be a financial boon to the area But I know several people who don't like Honey Creek at all because it targets the new urban type of Outdoor rec people, the ones that want paved hiking and biking paths and prefer their "nature" in a mowed and manicured form.

As I understand it, they are also building a resort also. I was down there in May and they have torn down a TON of trees. It's only a matter of time before the have the whole damn lake full of cabins and condos. It'll look like Clear Lake in 15 years! Is it true that they are selling the public hunting ground to outside people to make up for budget shortfalls? We heard some locals talking about it when we were down there!

I've heard nothing about selling any public ground and such a thing would have to be approved by the NRC which would make it public record. (and available on the web)

Virtually the whole Honey Creek project is special appropriations from the legislature, state general fund money, not our hunting and fishing dollars.

So IF there was a shortfall they would just go back to the legislature for more.

It seems like for years stuff has been said to get going down there w/ sundown lake and rathbun but it just always seems to fizzle out.
I was born right there in moravia and my Dad built the BP that is now there. I keep going back and it always seemed to be at a stand still down there.
I'll be glad to see something finally get done there.
Last month when I was there it looked like they were tearing up ground for a golf course. I just hope all my families land around it doesn't turn into a resort. But then again I know that community needs a shot in the arm.

There is no cpmpromise between,"Progress", and Nature. Majority people today consider butterflies in their flowerbed, nature enough.More pavemant,more traffic,more manmade noise. The few that like peace and nature all around, have to keep moving. Someday,,there will be no place to move.Glad I am as old as I am. I pitty future generations, if there are lovers of peace in them.

I'm heading there this weekend for some camping.

Since it's a man-made lake, I don't see a problem with trying to make some business off of the area. I just hope it's not done hap-hazardly. Seems like planning committee must be considering a lot of variables if it's been stalled out for a few years.

Nature may come up short if the area is turned into a "resort-ville".

Top Bottom