Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hooyman saw

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LIV in the instructions it says that the saw is not designed for cutting on the away stroke </div></div>

Hey cut the guy some slack, he went to Iowa State... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

A saw that doesn't cut on the away stroke is worthless in my opinion. Especially when you are 25 feet high and tiptoeing on the edge of your stand trying to cut a branch. The engineer that designed that saw must of went to Iowa because everyone knows to saw something, you pull it towards you, then push it back. You could cut twice as fast and not have try to re-align the cut each time when you are hanging from a tree /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I still carry it though. It is a good for whacking down dead sticks that are out of reach /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I always thought most saws were cut only on the back pull stroke and the forward stroke just cleaned out the saw dust?

Oh well. Saw the saw at Scheels, not sure on it though. Seemed solid enough but I'd have to use it to get a good opinion.

Muddy,

That is why you are not an engineer, you better stick to fish /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A saw that doesn't cut on the away stroke is worthless in my opinion. </div></div>

And you bought one??? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Who'd of thought they made one /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The saw works fine if your not trying to be crazy with it. Its definitely worth having, it may take a little more time and make a little more noise but you don't want a branch 3 feet away to cost you a buck of a lifetim either. It is worth 40 bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is why you are not an engineer, you better stick to fish /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

When you're right, you're right. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I did think that a 5 foot portable extender saw would pretty nice when I was messing around with it. Does the saw pop off the handle when you're using it or is it more solid than it appears? I am so fed up with my crappy Gerber saw that I'm ready to toss it in the reservoir when I drive over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always thought most saws were cut only on the back pull stroke and the forward stroke just cleaned out the saw dust? </div></div>

This is like my gerber hand saw. I thought they all were like this too. I can cut through a 6in diameter tree pretty quick. All on the backstroke unless I get pissed if it pinches or something then I make it cut a little on the forward stroke. haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the saw pop off the handle when you're using it or is it more solid than it appears? </div></div>

It has a lock that appears to hold it on fairly sucure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am so fed up with my crappy Gerber saw that I'm ready to toss it in the reservoir when I drive over. </div></div>

Muddy, which Gerber do you have? I have the regular hand held Gerber with wood and bone blades and that thing cuts through wood like its soft butter! I keep two big black zip ties in my pack and will use a stout limb to zip tie the saw to if I need a quick trim. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

They are a little off on thier measurements, 13in folded and right at 5ft from the tip of the saw blade to the end of the handle.

The 5ft is right on but nothing to spare.

I bought one and used it this weekend. Very happy with it. Handle extension is high quality and it is one of those things that actually works and will always be in my pack.

I just noticed this saw for sale at Fin and Feather in Iowa City this weekend and I was intrigued. Knowing my own bad hunting equipment spending habits, I will probably end up with one before too long. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Are they sturdy and useful enough to get one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am so fed up with my crappy Gerber saw that I'm ready to toss it in the reservoir when I drive over. </div></div>

Muddy, which Gerber do you have? I have the regular hand held Gerber with wood and bone blades and that thing cuts through wood like its soft butter! I keep two big black zip ties in my pack and will use a stout limb to zip tie the saw to if I need a quick trim. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

That's what I have. It cuts great but the hub/locking area is junk. On thicker limbs that area ends up getting cracked or stressed and then breaking. Oh well, it will suffice I suppose.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom