Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Horizontal rub?

StucknAz

Anyone besides Ted Miller ever have success with these. Curious for those that have run them how they build? Wire type?

Is it better to just run the mock post/scrape like Skip? Curious to how much rubbing activity the vertical get vs the horizontal?

I tried horizontal several times. No luck. The vertical got 10x the action. But I am not an expert!! I’d try it and maybe different result.

I have a couple horizontal rubs. They hammer them. Got a shed buck 2 days ago rubbing his forehead on one. I don't build vertical rubs, but can say I have had good results. I use #9 wire (had some for snare supports) and I use white pine branches from my back yard. Deer have made their own scrape off the end of the rub where it hangs over a trail.

I have a couple horizontal rubs. They hammer them. Got a shed buck 2 days ago rubbing his forehead on one. I don't build vertical rubs, but can say I have had good results. I use #9 wire (had some for snare supports) and I use white pine branches from my back yard. Deer have made their own scrape off the end of the rub where it hangs over a trail.
What’s your approximate height of the white pine, diameter of the branch, what’s your support made up of? Length of the limb?Have any pics?

What’s your approximate height of the white pine, diameter of the branch, what’s your support made up of? Length of the limb?Have any pics?
I set them about waist high. I used Ted Miller's instruction on building. Pine branches are roughly the diameter of the business end of a baseball bat or slightly bigger. Length is what works, but mine are roughly 5-6 feet. I cut them to fit the trees I'm wiring up to. I just found 2 trees that were close enough together next to a deer trail and wired them to that. I then took a hatchet (knife, saw, etc.) and scraped a little of the bark off the end hanging over the trail. I think they like that pine smell and they seem to go right at them right away. I've put them up in mid-September the last few years and it worked out great. New branch each year, but same spot.

Been wanting to try this. Definitely plan to put a couple in this year. Ted Millers videos are awesome!

Been wanting to try this. Definitely plan to put a couple in this year. Ted Millers videos are awesome!
It has been a fun experiment for me. Obviously vertical rubs work, but his vids convinced me to try it out. Worked for me. :)

I set them about waist high. I used Ted Miller's instruction on building. Pine branches are roughly the diameter of the business end of a baseball bat or slightly bigger. Length is what works, but mine are roughly 5-6 feet. I cut them to fit the trees I'm wiring up to. I just found 2 trees that were close enough together next to a deer trail and wired them to that. I then took a hatchet (knife, saw, etc.) and scraped a little of the bark off the end hanging over the trail. I think they like that pine smell and they seem to go right at them right away. I've put them up in mid-September the last few years and it worked out great. New branch each year, but same spot.
I’m only able to get to my farm in mid June this year, do you think it would be worth a shot or would limb dry up before my Oct trip?

I’m only able to get to my farm in mid June this year, do you think it would be worth a shot or would limb dry up before my Oct trip?
I would give that a shot. Can't hurt. It will dry some yes, but like I said. I still have deer trying to rub them now after they dropped antlers and those have been up since Sept.

Top Bottom