Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

House Natural Resource Comm. Meeting

ElkHunter

Life Member
Tomorrow, Thur March 14 the HNRC will meet to discuss the NR deer tags and the NR landowner issue in regards to the any sex deer tag. There are some new committee members that feel it is in the best interest of Iowans to bring these issues to the fore ground. My guess is they will be asking for more NR tags. For some reason this committee is more interested in the money issue than taking care of the natural resource. Some say there are still too many deer, some think the NR landowner should be able to hunt every year. Bottom line is this committee needs to hear from the hunting community in a big way and ASAP. Please contact your legislators especially if they are on HNRC.

I do have a some people to key on.

Rep Dean Fisher (District 72) in the Tama area.
He believes we have too many deer. (IBA members would love to help him control his problem areas)

Rep Patti Ruff (District 56) in Waukon, Lansing area
She has been hearing from a Minnesota resident complaining that he can't hunt his Ia. land every year.

Rep Rob Bacon (District 48) the Boone, Webster City area
He sponsored the crossbow legislation. He told our lobbyist that he would amended to just hunt the late ML season. We asked that his language drop the words crossbow license and just make it an acceptable weapon in the late ML season, he has not done this. I'm still waiting to hear from rest of board, so far no one likes the language. Personally I say oppose this legislation very strongly.
We need phone calls made and emails sent.

<LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl01_liMember>Henry V. Rayhons (R, District 8), Chair <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl02_liMember>Dean Fisher (R, District 72), Vice Chair <LI style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl03_liMember>Curtis Hanson (D, District 82), Ranking Member <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl04_liMember>Rob Bacon (R, District 48) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl05_liMember>Clel Baudler (R, District 20) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl06_liMember>Joshua Byrnes (R, District 51) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl07_liMember>Cecil Dolecheck (R, District 24) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl08_liMember>Chris Hall (D, District 13) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl09_liMember>Jake Highfill (R, District 39) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl10_liMember>Daniel A. Huseman (R, District 3) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl11_liMember>Daniel Lundby (D, District 68) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl12_liMember>Jim Lykam (D, District 89) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl13_liMember>Dave Maxwell (R, District 76) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl14_liMember>Helen Miller (D, District 9) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl15_liMember>Scott Ourth (D, District 26) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl16_liMember>Patti Ruff (D, District 56) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl17_liMember>Sandy Salmon (R, District 63) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl18_liMember>Tom Shaw (R, District 10) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl19_liMember>Jeff Smith (R, District 1) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl20_liMember>Phyllis Thede (D, District 93) <LI id=ctl00_cphMainContent_repHouse_ctl21_liMember>Roger Thomas (D, District 55)

Email sent to my Rep on the committee and this is what it says.

Mr. Lykam. It has come to my attention that the Natural Resource Committee will be meeting tomorrow. My understanding is that the subject of non resident land owner deer tags is going to be on the table again. As I have expressed to you in the past I strongly oppose any changes or relaxation of the current legislation regarding this issue. Our deer herd is under enough pressure, especially here in Eastern Iowa. Land values are at all time highs and granting yearly tags to nonresidents will only push those values higher. Lack of access to land to hunt is a major issue among Iowa hunters and that access will be further reduced if nonresidents land owners are guaranteed tags every year.

It seems that a
Rep Patti Ruff (District 56) has been hearing from a nonresident complaining that they can not hunt their Iowa land every year. If the subject of nonresident complaints comes up I ask you to remind your fellow committee members that nonresidents don't vote and they are there to represent the best interests of Iowa residents.

In general I would like to express my concern about the way our deer herd is being managed. It seems some are more concerned with how much money the herd can be used to raise then managing it for it's over all health and longevity. Hunters have done their part in reducing the herd to a level everyone concerned stated they could live with. It's time for the politics to take a back seat to sound scientific management.

Thank you for your time.

Come on guys. Everyone crawls out of the wood work to swat down this subject here. Time to get in your reps ear.

Tomorrow, Thur March 14 the HNRC will meet to discuss the NR deer tags and the NR landowner issue in regards to the any sex deer tag. There are some new committee members that feel it is in the best interest of Iowans to bring these issues to the fore ground. My guess is they will be asking for more NR tags. For some reason this committee is more interested in the money issue than taking care of the natural resource. Some say there are still too many deer, some think the NR landowner should be able to hunt every year. Bottom line is this committee needs to hear from the hunting community in a big way and ASAP. Please contact your legislators especially if they are on HNRC.

)

Rep Patti Ruff (District 56) in Waukon, Lansing area
She has been hearing from a Minnesota resident complaining that he can't hunt his Ia. land every year.

By the way this is not me complaining (LOL) Hardwood...I limit my complaining only to this site!

Last edited:
Top Bottom