Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How bad?

kevpann

PMA Member
Just wondering how bad burnig and old pasture with alot of of tree growth would effect the trees. Cedars, elm, ash, plumb, and sumac. I know it would have a bad effect on the young cedars but would be nice to clean up all the unwanted under brush and start over.

I think it depends on how hot the fire is. I'm no expert on burning but I agree it would most likely do in the young cedars, hardwoods most likely would survive.

I had one very hot fire burn thru everything and pretty much all but a few cedars came back (sumac, locusts and other shrubs all grew back)

Curious...what do want to start over with? More/different trees or something different?

Dbltree is right... it depends. It depends on several things. How tall and/or thick is the grass that will be burned? The bark on oak trees can withstand fire pretty well relative to most species, but if the grass is higher than tree itself, etc, then it may be destructive.

I burned an area of my flattened brome CRP a couple of years ago now and the cedars survived it better than I wanted them to. Some even turned orange for awhile and then came back. (They are gone now, but it was a brush hog that got 'em, not the fire.)

A switchgrass fire could be a whole different animal, much more fuel than wimpy brome.

[ QUOTE ]
A switchgrass fire could be a whole different animal, much more fuel than wimpy brome.

[/ QUOTE ]

and how! (don't ask me how I know...
smirk.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
would be nice to clean up all the unwanted under brush and start over.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to kill the underbrush, burn it after it has leafed out. If you just want to burn what is there off so the brush sprouts new growth, burn the area before the brush breaks buds.

From my experience cedar are actually easier to kill when they are dormant and tend to be more fire resistant once they green up in the spring ... I would suspect this is due to the moisture content difference in their needles.

Top Bottom