Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How did this happen??

Did the arrow glance off bone? I had a shot on a doe opening morning that I never could figure out how it made the holes in the hide like it did.

Also, could the wider shoulder of the buck account for this? Thicker shoulders than a doe? Might need to aim a little higher?

One thing that makes a difference is leg position, if the leg is forward, back or straight. It can affect blade penetration and deflect a shot, which even a little, can make a big difference.

My eyes aren't that great anymore...am I looking at a low shoulder shot or a high one? (I see two areas of blood or wounds?)

My own worst failing in arrow placement is hitting a deer to low and only hitting one lung, but your shot is well above that area.

looks like to me, the shot on the buck was alittle high, shooting down 18 yrds should have made thru a lung, i would expect,the arrow must have deflected off the spinal, or somthing, nice recovery and your shot was true enough.congrats.

Deflection off bone could easily be your answer. One of the bigger reasons people loose deer that look to be hit well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The low shot is the initial shot, the high shot is the follow up about a minute plus later...
</div></div>

I suspect his leg was forward a little and the shot went just ahead of his vitals although the fact that he was "bleeding profusely" makes me wonder if some serious damage was done.

I always look over everything closely just out of curiosity when I gut a deer. If you skin your own deer then everything becomes obvious on exactly where the arrow went.

No doubt the shot was lethal but how far would he have traveled without the followup shot is unknown.

A heart shot usually runs flat out often a 100 yards before expiring

A double lung is lucky to make 40-50 yards also on a "death run"

A one lung sometimes will make a short sprint then walk away, some barely flinch although they all will die.

A deer that just stands there...that I haven't seen yet? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Top Bottom