Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

how do you know..

trowser44

how do you know when and where to set your cameras up at. im trying to decide where to hang some stands and i want to use my camera to scout the area. do i set up anywhere in the general area? and would i want to use some kind of bait or not since ill be hunting near it.

I have had luck putting cameras on secluded water holes during the hot summer months & once the crops begin to grow I will move cameras to field edges that are as far off the road as possible on the land you are hunting.

Another great way to get pics is to use a pre-made mineral lick or mix up your own and put the camera over it. The problem with this is that you can not hunt over it in the fall (I believe within 200 yds but not 100% sure) and wouldn't help much with your stand location.

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Dark Archer made some good points! In the summer time, stay away from bedding areas and run your cameras in easy access areas (timber edges, ponds, waterways, etc.) I get some of my best pictures in a waterway that runs between two cornfields. Field driveways make great places as well. As far as bait goes, start running corn piles. You'll be surprised at how much corn you'll go through once the deer start hitting it hard, but its worth it IMO. Let us know how it goes and hopefully you'll have some awesome photos to share! Good luck!

... would i want to use some kind of bait or not since ill be hunting near it.

Bait's no problem so long as it's gone before hunting season. Salt/mineral licks ARE a problem near a hunting setup because even if the product is visually gone, it's absorbed down in the soil making it illegal to hunt over and it'll be obvious because they'll make a wallow there.

That said, licks are the best way to get pics, you just have to set them up in places you don't hunt, yet close enough to your area to get an inventory of your local deer.

I agree with Iowabowtech. We put our cameras over mineral licks away from our hunting areas. You should see any buck in the area using it.

Top Bottom