Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How far do you go to keep the deer on your land?

BugleMIn

I live in an acreage area, I call it horseyville, every one has a 4-7 acres and some horses, I have 7 and no horses. I have a neighbor #1(our properties are joined, he has a 12 acres total) who has timber on his land and he lets me bowhunt. Not surprisingly it is only good during the rut, the bucks don't typically come that way.

Neighbor #2 doesn't live out there but has 38 acres of land. He thinks the deer belong to him, a real jewel, neighborhood dislikes him. He is buddies with a farmer who owns a CRP field that butts up against the fenceline I hunt. Last spring the guy cut every tree in the fence line, if they fell on his side he drug it away and burned it. If they fell on Neighbor #1's side he left it. I know it is his right to cut trees. He even cut good healthy trees on my side. I mentioned it to my neighbor #1 and he didn't want to raise a stink. (I would have sent him a bill for the value of every tree he cut)

Now I noticed the fence he repaired is like 5-6 feet high right where my tree stands are, other sections of the fence are knocked down he didn't even fix it. His intention is to keep the deer from crossing to my side.

Is this illegal? I think it borders on sabotage. I know he is not out there in a bunny suit protesting us hunting and sabotaging our hunt but he is altering the normal deer movements to prevent us from enjoying our land and hunting. I kid you not there is only a 100 yard section that is built up high, the rest is normal height or even laying on the ground.

Last year on days when he or his son saw us walking to our stand he would have his son ride the ATV along the fenceline to keep the deer from moving in our direction. I talked to the DNR Officer and he said it would be tough to prove harrassment from the ATV, the guy has a right to use his (his buddies) land.

What are your thoughts?

If I tear it down or cut the top two barbs he'll know it is me.

Last edited:
Real nice guy, I don't know what to tell you for fear someone on here may call me a prick too so I'll keep my mouth shut. It has to come to the point that you could call it harrassment I would think, but then the guy that owns the land you hunt may tell you to forget about hunting if you raise a stink like he said. Good luck with this one, me I'd find somewhere else to hunt instead of going through the hassle.

Look at it in a positive way.If deer want to get from point A to point B...they will go around a fence.I would look for the new place thay cross.It may be just the funnel you need.You may find a trail along your side of the fence that deer use to get to a new crossing spot.Good luck with it.Don't let someone ruin your hunt.

Me personally, I would have to find a new place to bow hunt. I just could not enjoy sitting there knowing someone is trying to sabotage the hunting. It would just take me being in the wrong frame of mind and a confrontation...I just have a real problem with spiteful people.

Hunting is supposed to be fun, and it's a lot more fun if you aren't worrying about what some jerk on the other side of the fence might be doing or thinking. I'd agree with the "find another place to hunt" idea. It sucks, but probably your best option.

NWBuck

I talked with the owner of the land, the guy who put the fence up is a caretaker (hunter). She said he was ging to put chickens or something the area. I laughed and said he can't put chickens in your CRP field, you'd have to take it from CRP program. He has her snowed. Then i told her why he did it. She was going to talk with him.

He came to my house that night at 9:30pm all flustered and mad, apparently she spoke with him. I plan on letting the DNR look at it, as it is not a part of normal farm operations. Farmers don't build 6 foot high fences sporadically around their CRP fields. This is the same thing as hunter sabotage and the DNR has laws against it.

He had a cow a few years when somebody else bought some land next to him on the other side of his property and put up a stand by his fence.

Aside from that we only hunt there when we don't have time to drive to our other spot. It is nice to run out into the back lot and sit for a while. My teen son would do it as soon as he came home from school. Not this year.

I try to put out as many different goodies as a deer can eat and keep places where they feel safe. They will never "always" stay on my place, but the more I keep them the less the neighbors have them.

Side Note:

I have great neighbors that practice what I do so it is not really a problem at all.

Knowing me,

I would still hunt there, shoot a deer and make sure they see that their methods are not working and I am still killing deer.

Put you in a apple/pear orchard and you will kill deer no matter what they try and do.

Top Bottom