Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How far up?

Lwadzie

Lwadzie
Just kinda curious as to how high up you guys prefer to hang your stands and why? For me ladder stands are about perfect around 18-20 feet but im starting to get away from ladders to hanging stands because hanging is more concealed on a tree and can go higher. I belive around 20-25 feet is good for hanging stands but ive seen guys go to 30-35 ft. Any thoughts or opinions?

I hang my lock ons as high as I can, I think they need to 20-25. With my climbers I'll get 35 ft if I can. I like being high, sure dont get seen as much and keeps your scent a little higher.

You should hang stands as low as possible given proper concealment. I've had stands at 12 feet in a mulberry and as high as 42 feet on a side hill at the bottom. Most stands are around 18-22 on average. The lower the stand the more forgiving shot angle...

I think it all comes down to at what height you are comfortable at. My self I hand most around the 20 foot mark.

sent from super hunters I phone

Depending on terrain, I like to be 20-25'. If it's very well hidden at 15', I might consider that. There's no book, or guide, to tell you how high to put a stand. I know guys that consistently kill decent bucks with no stand higher than 12'. I prefer to be higher.

It just depends for me. Some sets I use 4 LW sticks, some I use the 5th LW stick, just depends on the cover and canopy height. 4 sticks will get me to 20', 5 will get me to 25'.

Anywhere from 1 stick to 4 sticks high. All situational. I like to be 20ft at least if possible.

I like to be higher(20 ft plus), but you really have to watch the shot angle if the trail is close. If I'm hunting in a cedar, I don't usually worry about getting too high up.

It all depends on the location for me. If the deer usually come from the direction the stand is facing, i want my stand higher. (20 + Feet) Early season i normally only sit 16-18 feet because of all of the cover. My normal set up is right around 20 feet though.

You will get a variety of answers or opinions. To me, it solely depends on the tree. I know plenty of trees where even at 30+ feet you wouldn't be concealed because there are no branches. Any tree that splits or has lower branches will work just fine any where from 10-30 feet.

On the other hand, I do think getting above their noses is important to some extent in terms of maybe hunting swirling winds or certain ridges/elevated areas.

Different thing that I have read say that in a tree stand you want more of a backdrop than anything else. Also I think that there are many more deer killed from the ground now or from 12 foot ladder stands as many hunters get older like me, so I don't see the need to be 30 feet up a tree. With normal air currents as the air cools in the evening the air and therefore the scent falls to ground around the tree so 12 feet or 30 feet without a wind to move scent down wind the scent will still be around. I also read that if a deer is within 10 or 15 yards of your tree it is almost impossible to get a double lung hit from 30 feet high because of the shot angle, and a deer can still go a long ways with only one lung hit. I vote for 12 or 15 feet high and let the deer tell us if that is high enough.

All of the deer I've shot with the bow (7, I know, kinda low), have been from either around 12-16 ft or on the ground. One was even with 5 or 6 others standing under me watching me draw back...at 12 ft high, which is where the lowest branch in that tree is. That being said, I have also been busted in the same stand.

25+ helps keep your thermals outa the deers nose as well as keeps you up outa line of sight. We have a couple 17ft ladder stands on our farms for clients that dont like sitting in loc ons, but the higher the better i think, i really like using my summit climber, keeps you mobile and you can get whatever height you wish as long as ya pick a good tree and set it right. But people have killed big deer for years from sitting on the ground to 20, 30ft up

Top Bottom