Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How long can you sit this time of year?

Aschaul

During shotgun and late muzzleloader season I find it tough to sit much longer than 2 and a half hours before I am almost unbearably cold. How long can you guys sit and any tips for staying warm? Also, is it necessary to get in the woods way before first light in the morning this time of year because I almost feel like it's just a waste of time and heat because then I only get an hour and a half instead a 2 or 2 and a half.

sitting

There are several tips for staying warm. First toasty toes are great. I put them on my socks and in my gloves. Lets start with the head and work down. I wear a fleece short billed hat with ear flaps. Over this I wear a balaclava that is long enough to fold back up over my hat. I therefore have 3 layers over my head and ears. This also covers my neck. I wear 2 layers of undergarments extreme underwear. I then put on a pair of fleece pants. I then put on a fleece vest and a wool shirt. A fleece jacket and then a bomber jacket which I almost never zip, I also wear a pair of heavy weight bibs. So 4 layers on the legs and 6 layers on the top half. Hands. I pair of light weight gloves. I wear these inside of the mitten glove things that you can flip the mitten part back up out of the way. I therefore put a hand warmer in the mitten part over the fingers. Feet. I wear heavy boots and I mean heavy. They have liners and plenty of insulation. I then put on one pair of wool socks with toasty toes. $150.00 for the boots but they keep you warm. Now that you look like the Michelin Man I suggest that you don't put on the bibs or the jackets til you get to the stand. I can sit all day unless I get wet walking in from sweat. :D There are other threads on here especially in the gear section which breaks all of this out. Good look and God bless your hunt.

In this weather I could sit all day easily. The only way I could not sit all day is if I worked up a horrendous sweat before the sit. After about 2-3 hours I would freeze. Since I have learned the hard way many times, I now carry as much as possible in.

I wear under armour tops and bottoms. A pair of camo pants and a pull over sweatshirt. Then for the outer layer I wear Cabelas whitetail extreme park and bibs. This combo is not bulky at all and can pretty much wear it down to any temperature. Last late muzz was very brutal and I would start to get chilled after about 4 hours but I was never hunting all day so I was fine.

I did pick up a cabelas berber fleece windshear vest that I think will be the ticket if it ever gets that cold again. So far it hasn't really been cold yet.

As far as feet go I wear a liner sock and a good wool sock. Right now I have been wearing irish setter gun flints 1000gram thinsulate. If it gets much colder I will break out the army mickey mouse boots. If it gets unbearable out I will slip on some artic shield boot covers.

As far as face goes I will wear a under armour facemask.

My hands always freeze no matter what I do. I try to wear light gloves and rely on the handwarmers which do a good job.

Top to bottom and I never got cold last year.

Inner layer:
Under Armour cold gear metal tops and bottoms

Middle layer:
Cabelas Power stretch fleece top and bottom over the UA

Socks:
One layer wool or polypro

Face mask, UA hood

Headgear: Sitka Celsius beanie and Bandit

Vest: Sitka Jetstream vest

Outerwear: Sitka Coldfront Parka and pants

Gloves: Sitka Traverse Gloves with polypro liner

Cabelas MT050 hand muff with hothands warmers

Danner Elkhunter 600 gm insulated covered with Arcticshield boot covers

I was able to hang out for 4-5 hours in brutal cold in this without a windbreak.

I sat the entire day today ... which unfortunately didn't get me any closer to getting a deer. However, I have yet to get a shot at a live deer from my couch! :D Here's what I wore ...

Head:
Baseball cap
Fleece balaclava

Top:
Cabela's ECWCS long underwear
Another layer of fleece long underwear
Windshear button-up shirt
Cabela's Berber Fleece Windshear Jacket
Cabela's MT050 Whitetail Extreme Parka

Bottom:
Cabela's ECWCS long underwear
Another layer of fleece long underwear
Cabela's MT050 Whitetail Extreme Pants

Feet:
Polypropolene wicking sock
Heavy merino wool sock
Heavy pack boots with a removable felt liner

I took along a pair of insulated fleece bibs, but never put them on. I walked out this morning in nothing but the two layers of long underwear and put the rest on once I got to the stand. It's a little chilly doing that, but you don't have to worry about getting sweated up that way.

Good luck ... it's going to be colder tomorrow morning, they say! :D

-Longspurs-

P.S. - Take along a thermos with something warm inside like hot chocolate or soup. And don't forget the snacks. It definitely takes the edge off. :way:

My feet and hands always get cold before anything else. I put those chemical warming packs in my gloves and on top of my toes in my boots and that seems to do the trick.

I picked up a camelback 48oz drink holding backpack this year. I always drink alot when im out and bottled water is to noisy and freezes. Im hoping this backpack under my coat will do the trick.

Now if I could just go longer than 4 hours without needing to poop. :eek:

My hands always freeze no matter what I do. I try to wear light gloves and rely on the handwarmers which do a good job.

I wear the lightest gloves possible and try to get away without them if I can. I learned a trick ice fishing. get some wrist sweat bands and put your hand warmers in side them on the bottome side of your wrist. That and one of those tube blankets that straps around your waist works great no matter how cold it is even without gloves. Keep your hands and toes warm and the rest will stay warm. The best thing I know to keep your feet warm is to make sure you have plenty of room in your boots. one pair of socks and plenty of room is better than 10 pairs of socks and being very tight.

I wear underarmour base layers, then cotton sweatpants and a cotton shirt, then I wear an underarmour hoodie, then i put on fleece pants and shirt, then my top layer is cabelas wooltimate with windshear lining. The windshear and wool will keep the wind out, plus having the fleece layer underneath it makes it very hard to get cold. I will pack in my last two layers and get dressed at the stand to avoid sweating. I wear 2000 gram Thinsulate boots, cabelas liner sock and then some thick wool socks over them for the feet. Underarmour liner glove with wool hybrid mittens for the hands. For the head, underarmour balaclava liner, wool facemask and wool stocking cap.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of wool to keep warm...because it WORKS!

Great tips....for the hands I've found this to be key...

Not sure of their exact name - the fanny pack thing for your front that you stick your hands into. :D Buy the thickest one you can find and put two of the hand heaters in it when you leave your truck (I like the bigger ones that are twice the size of the normal hand heaters). By the time you get on stand those little heaters have created a hot and toasty oven inside that thing! Wear some light gloves into your stand and take them off when you get there and slip your hands in that oven an you can enjoy warm hands all day.

Boots - check out a pair of Wiggys. They are not that common in the midwest but have a big following in the NW and up in AK where I used to live. The liners are Wiggys sleeping bag material and they are the BOMB. Not much for ankle support for walking, but for sitting they are awesome. Put some of those feet heaters on the bottom of your socks (make sure you have a wicking inner sock) and you should be good to go for quite a few hours.

Cousin Eddie dont wear much when he hunts

picture.php

:drink2: :drink1: :drink2:​

What I have found to be the most challenging is during shotgun season I and few friends alternate walking and posting. Last year during second season it was such hard work walking in deep snow that I was sweating profusely even in cold wind temps. When it was my turn to post (which I was looking forward to after 1 1/2 ours of thigh deep snow) I was great for 5 minutes, then I was as cold as I have been in my life.

This year for my upper body I bought a second set of base layers and will be prepared to change them out after walking (even if I have to do it standing outside) before I post. Being wet and in cold wind just isn't worth it.

Like the rest of the guys the toe warmers and hand warmers help a lot. The sticky toe warmers say they can go under or on top of your toes, but I find they can get uncomfortable to walk on so now I only put them on top and it seems to work as well.

Well; there has been alot of good suggestions for dressing warm to go on stand for extended periods, and i have done them all over the years. Nobody has mentioned the Heater Body Suit. Probably because the cost is sort of expensive. But if you want to spend all day outside in fridgid temperatures; i haven't found anything that will come close to keeping me comfortable like the Heater Suit. The only draw back that i have found with the Heater Body Suit is that it is hard to get into once in a treestand. I use the large platform stands, and i can stay in sub zero temps longer than my back can take. Another drawback with the suit is that you can't hold onto your weapon if you have it zipped all the way up. I hang my gun or bow on a hanger, and the suit unzips quitely and fast from the inside.

cold?

heater body suit $350.00. and no more cold, all day sits no problem, 4 hour sits a little hot but bearable. 2 hour sits and all u need is long johns.
incredibly warm i just hope no one in iowa reads this and discovers the secret. heator body suit is unbelievable!

I have no problem sitting all day this time of year, I imagine it helps that I work outside all day but to stay warm on stand I wear a ood pair of Lacross boots, wind proof micro fleece from Predator and wool gloves. Seems to work for me here in Northern Michigan

It appears to me the heater body suit would be dangerous in the tree. Putting one on then taking it off, standing up etc etc. I have no doubts they would keep you warm based on comments here and previous posts but don't think I would use one in a treestand.

It appears to me the heater body suit would be dangerous in the tree. Putting one on then taking it off, standing up etc etc. I have no doubts they would keep you warm based on comments here and previous posts but don't think I would use one in a treestand.
It's actually safer than dressing in so many layers that the Hunters Safety System vest no longer fits. I can wear the same hunting clothes i use for November bowhunting along with my safety vest over top. Once inside the Heater Suit; you're warm comfortable and safe. I have the teather for the safety harness hooked to the tree before sitting down on the seat of the stand to put the suit on or take it off. I have elected to hunt from my stands in the past without the safety harness; just so that i could wear enough warm clothes to withstand the cold.

X2, plus the element of stealth would be sacrificed trying to get the dang thing on. I can't count how many time I've had deer start to come through immediately after I strapped myself in. Would suck not being able to grab your weapon because you're trying to put a sleeping bag on in the stand, or spooking the game for that matter.

FWIW, I've considered getting the Heater Body Suit for ground hunts, but for the stand I'll stick with my predator fleece and cabelas wooltimate.

For someone who is a little uncomfortable with heights to begin with, I'm sure this could create a challenge. putting on your harness before getting in would be a must. I work with heights on a regular basis doing things far more challenging that putting on the suit, for me it seems about as dangerous as brushing my teeth.

There is no question, I do lose some stealth when in the suit. In stands that are iffy as far as being picked off by deer goes, the suit makes it even harder to stand up and grab the bow if a deer is present. If you have a set up that is well hid or one that generaly gives the hunter some advance notice, it doesn't bother as much. Once you are stood up with bow in hand, the suit is irrelevent and the lighter clothing makes the shot more comfortable.

Top Bottom