Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How long in stand???

Stu

Gotta real quick question for everyone...when does everyone start spending alot more time in the stand compared to early and late season??? Meaning staying in the stand until atleast 11am.

Depends on the stand setup/area. ON a food source/field edge...not often at all til the rut. Funnels, mid to late oct on thru november, Acorn ridges and bedding areas, anyday of the season.

I'm lucky enough to be able to hunt everyday, and will be hunting pretty seriously the entire season. Just like the rut, I think early season can be a great time to catch a big-boy on his unpressured summer routines. Once these guys get a couple wiffs of human odor in areas that it doesn't belong, it changes they're routine so you won't see them. I start on the edges and work my way closer to they're beds as the season progresses.

I actually have a nice buck located right now and plan on getting pretty agressive early on to try to catch him before he knows he's being hunted.

Then, once the rut starts, you can dive in deep!

Not a huge fan of sitting in the treestand when it is 75 degrees so I usually don't sit later in the day until Late October, unless we have some good weather. If it drops below 50 for the highs I will sit all day regardless.

If it's below 50 degrees and after October 15th, I'm in a tree.

I like to get out once it starts to cool down in October. And when I go, it is typically for an all-day sit because you never know when something could be moving (that and the fact that I've never arrowed a whitetail while I was home sitting on the couch
grin.gif
).

As long as I can without my A** going numb. Sit whenever and however long I feel like that day. Temperature really does nothing for me like some above have stated. I have seen more bucks move to the watering holes if it is hotter.

From very later October until about mid November I'm out every day almost all if not all day. At least until 1100 If I leave then I'm back out early afternoon.

Pretty much sit on morning stand until 11 or so, get down, stretch the legs, get a bite to eat and try and get to my pm stand as soon as I can.

I do find I need that strech break for an hour. I rarely ever sit in one spot for the entire day, but I know others who can and seem to be able to handle it.

I think it comes down to how long can you sit in one spot in a 24 inch by 20 inch metal tree stand. For me its about 5 hours at a time and them I need to give my body a break.

I agree with Benny. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three years ago and that changed things some. I just can't sit without some exercise for long periods (more than four hours). If I'm in a prime spot during pre-rut or rut I usually try not to do much more than climb down stretch and climb back up.

[ QUOTE ]
(that and the fact that I've never arrowed a whitetail while I was home sitting on the couch
grin.gif
).

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif

I sometimes switch from a tree stand to a ground blind but I see more bucks between 11:00 and 2:00 then any other time in November, so I try to stay all day as much as possible.

Most of my early season sits are short, and usually on the edge, or very close to a field (a few on oak flat staging areas). Most of these hunts are the last three hours in the evening.

Most of my stands are situated in funnels or travel corridors between bedding - feeding areas, which in the past, have always been prime cruising zones. I start hunting these stands the first of November, and try to stay in the stand all day when possible.

Last year I started staying until 1:00 pm in mid October. The problem with that is, I saw a lot of decent deer, but by the time the 2nd week of November rolled around, I was starting to get stand burn out. I shot a 130 class deer on Nov. 12th last year,at 10 am, but I probably would have passed on him, had I not spent so much stand time in Oct. This year, I am not going to stay later until the 1st week of November.I saw a lot of deer in the late morning when I was leaving my stand in November, and had a hard time staying in stand past 10:30am.

Top Bottom