Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

how long to recover game

Reit38

How long legally do you have to recover a deer shot? I know of a group that had shot a buck friday night. Was Givin permission to get in asap on Sat.
They ended up goin back in again Sunday and again today looking for the deer

Interesting question...I don't know. Here's a hypothetical though...suppose you shot at, and hit, a deer last night on the last day of the muzzy season, but wanted to let it go overnight and come back the next day, etc. (Something that is a very common practice these days.)

Is that OK?

Both situations I would let the local CO know what is going on. I would also ask for instruction on reporting the animal if it was found especially after today.

Both situations I would let the local CO know what is going on. I would also ask for instruction on reporting the animal if it was found especially after today.

Definitely. I have wondered the same thing. Or even worse, you hit one last night, go back in today and it's still alive but in it's deathbed....we would all want to shoot it and end it's misery but unless the CO is at your side that would be asking for trouble!

If the question regards how long do they have to legally search for a deer on someone else's property; I think that unless they are on a visible blood trail, they are on thin ice. Pretty sure the law that allows recovery extends to a blanket search of someone else's property? It damned sure doesn't extend for day after day searches without explicit permission...

I think you would be OK to recover game the day after season ended as long as you are unarmed. If you find the deer still alive, prolly the local CO needs to be involved.

Oh please, if you have honestly shot a deer last evening of the season you are worried about lookin for it next day. DNR policies are subject to change. Ihad an experience in MI with a deer hit on the highway. I tried allday to get someone from the DNR to answer. The deer lay hurt yet alive all day. Finally I contacted someone who said dont bother us,,, go ahead and shoot it. This was during Sept. No deer season yet. I said what if I get caught with a shot deer otta season? DNR official said dont worry about it .

heres what i know

shot friday night
supposedly it was bleeding out both sides
shot with muzzloader
ran a few hundred yards

tracked it Sat.
somehow lost the trail ( not sure how with it bleeding out both sides and cold temps)
were suppososed to be out by 10am , they were still in at 12

went back in sunday without permission

another guy who has permission went into to look for where they were and never found any blood
guys who shot the deer were watching him from the road the whole time
after guy with permission left there were tracks going in over his

Top Bottom