Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many acres have you lost?

R

Renobber

Hey I was just wondering how many acres everyone has lost to either leasing or someone else buying the property or the landowner just gettin sick of people asking. I would say I have lost prolly around 100 acres but have been fortunate enough to gain a couple more back and having an uncle that farms

So how much have you lost? or gained?

Renobber

The 160 acres across the road from my place was leased this year.
mad.gif

Let's see: I have stopped hunting a couple properties because they have become too overcrowded - but I won't count those.
I had permission to hunt two adjoining farms. One late November the big boy, a true B&C, that I had been hunting decided to spend the morning feeding by the road that split the farms. Within a month, both farms were leased by two seperate groups - 472 acres.

The farm my father taught me to hunt on was bought for exclusive hunting - 112 acres.

A property that I got permission to hunt for the following year, was sold and then parceled out as hunting leases - 200 acres.

Total 784 acres.

I have lost a lot of property hunting rights/privelges just in the last 3 years due to leasing/purchase for hunting purposes. Land bought up by both Iowa residents and non residents. All of these properties were located in Adair, Adams, Taylor, and Page Counties.

Lost a property in Adair County 2 years ago 240 acres leased by group out of Des Moines.

Last 3 years in Adams County 1200 acres leased and purchased by a pay to hunt local farmer. Another 180 acres leased by a group out of Omaha. Leasing is becoming a very big trend in Adams County, there is one outfitter up there and he has been on TV several times. Now I heard that another guy is going to start outfitting there also. Adams County also has a number of farmers that charge a trespass fee to hunt on them.

Taylor County last three years 260 acres leased by non resident hunters and 160 acres leased by resident hunters.

Page County last year 240 acres, not sure if resident or non resident, grapevine says NR.

This is only the last three years. I know you could easily double that figure since 1990.
frown.gif

I have hunted a little bit in Adams county before but it was for bird hunting....."it wasn't very good" lol I was around corning, one of my school teachers lives there and took us huntin down there for us taking him huntin all the time up where we live.

I lost about 25 acres of the best deer hunting land you could imagine (funnel) but gained 100 acres of nice timber so its a push.

Just between six hunters there has been a loss of 4189 acres. 698.17 apiece, and yet the NR thinks it doesn't affect the hunting of Joe Iowan.
mad.gif

Iv'e seen this in Vermont. All the locals sell there land for big out of state dollars then bitch when they see all the non residents. Iowa will continue to spiral out of control due to the supply and demand for Big Bucks. Iowa must start purchasing land for everyone to hunt....not just the ones who can afford an outfitter. I'll take my turn in the draw and will be happy to hunt every other year or so. Politics and outfitters are hurting your hunting, don't blame the non residents. The tag increase is out of control which is making it a rich mans sport. I strickly bow hunt on a friends farm in central Iowa along with several local hunters and we have became good friends. It makes me sick when I see what the politicians want $$$$$$$$$.

I lost nearly 2,500 acres in Monroe County to an out of state guy from Michigan
frown.gif
, but I still have 2,000 left to hunt in Marion/Monroe county.

A friend of mine owns some ground for hunting. He called the other day mentioning a guy from Michigan bought some property near his and is now attempting to lease all tracts that join with that piece's property lines.

He was also contacted recently by a realitor who wants to purchase his ground. A little poking around and he found out that the realitor is specifically looking for turnover on recreational property.

Anyone who has doubts about loosing hunting opportunities is kidding themselves. It's out there.

I have lost 0 acres. In fact, we've gained something like 160 acres from the neighbors that we get permission to hunt. and guys, i bet its all those 6000 NR's that draw tags EVERY year that are forcing you out. chances are, its more likely house development than NR hunters

I have lost about 1500 acres because the farmer decided that he liked the money he got from out of state hunters better than the work I did on is farm.

Yeah Deerslayer, I am sure the guy from Michigan is busy developing his 2500 acres into 1 acre lots...

I have been fortunate not to lose any (yet) but I do now share 300 acres with two young hunters who's previous spot was purchased by hunters from Chicago.

DeerSlayer
I don't think you are doing anything but trying to come in here and stir things up, its not our fault your daddy is rich and selfish and only lets 4 people hunt your 700 acres and probably shoot 4 does off it a year

my rich daddy..started from scratch with 3 of his brothers to form a company..and now they own a couple thousand acres worth millions of dollars so that makes us rich? i guess it does then in your eyes. Having money has nothing to do with owning land or gaining land to hunt on. We have permission to hunt a 120 of our neighbors and a 40 of anothers. 160 more acres to hunt. plus 160 public acres next to us..hell, we havent lost any. gained alot. In fact, if we lost any land to hunt on, it was because the GOVERNMENT bought a thousand some acres next to us and made it no hunting. yeah, those NR's are hard on hunting land. All 6000 of them that get tags YEAR AFTER YEAR. you guys are pretty nieve to blame all your land loss to on residents. I guess if you think owning alot of land and giving tags to large land owners is bad and favors the rich, i guess i could care less what you have to say. Some people have worked for their money. Took risks and put in the hours to be successful.

And yes, we let 2 people that are not family in every year to bowhunt. If it wasn't for them being so trustworth and awesome people to have hunting with you, then it would be 0 people. you can't trust anyone in this area. I spent every weekend in October and most of november repairing fences taken down by neighbors to let their ATV's in, i chased out the neighbors cattle, and i took down tresspassers's treestands. Thats why we don't like to have other people hunt our land. During shotgun season theres a bunch of guys that hunt with us, a couple old neighbor guys and their nephews. People we can trust. until you have tresspassing problems and trust issues with neighbors, then i really don't think you're competent enough to comment on the situation. and like i said earlier, i dont think the massive hordes of NR's(all 6000 of them) are taking all of your land. You can blame Realtree and all the magazines fueld by big bucks for that. More people seeing the potential for their land to make money and if it pays for the taxes or helps pay the bills, they'll generally do it.

As a NR I have stayed clear from this whole saga. I completely support the residents from Iowa because I have some of the same concerns about my residential state of South Dakota. Deerslayer 37, I think you are really missing the boat here. The more NR hunters in Iowa, the more outfitters will lease more land because rich NR will pay a boatload to come there and hunt. The more land that is leased, the less there is left for residents. If you can't see that, then you are naive. Second of all, I am sick of NR constantly picking with this issue. If you want to hunt in Iowa, then move there and stop you crabbing. Third of all, if you have so much land to hunt in Wisconsin, why the hell do you want to hunt in Iowa. Manage your own land and you will have big bucks to hunt. If you want to pitch your sale, please do it elsewhere because nobody's buying it here. Just my opinion.

What is the median $/acre for leasing around the state? I'm just curious about a ballpark figure. $10....$100???

Top Bottom