Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many calls do you generally carry?

muddy

This is my attempt at my first poll. Thanks for your patience!!
grin.gif

The second part of this poll is a little fun, list ALL the calls you use. Yes, you may go to the garage now and dig them out because you KNOW you want to after thinking about them. Maybe one is broken? Maybe the chalk needs to be re-applied? Perhaps a striker is missing?

Ok, here's my list.

1. Mouth calls - At least 3, a single reed, a triple reed and a split V reed

2. Box Calls - 2 One is an origional Ben Lee box from the late 80's and the other is one of those new fangled WoodsWise Mystic calls, friggin awesome in the rain.

3. Friction - God, where do I start?? a. Quaker Boy Double Face (Glass & slate)
b. H.S. Strut Black Widow
c. Knight & Hale Ol' Yeller
d. Primos Titan 2000 Titanium Fused Crystal
e. Quaker Boy Alumninator aluminum faced call

4. I have at LEAST 6 strikers for ANY occasion

5. H.S. Gobble tube

6. generic ol crow call

7. My own voice. I can owl hoot with the best of 'em (except Limb, he's just awesome
wink.gif
) and can hen yelp as well. I'm not too bad either, just ask deadeye!

Ok, let's start to warm this forum up a little bit, they'll be gobbling before we know it!

1)Lohmans double chambered box call
2)at least 3 reeds; slpitV, doubleV, raspy old hen, double reed.
3)slate with both wood and graphite striker
4)gobbler tube
5)crow call
6)owl hooter. Who cooks for you?
As we shed hunt my wife hollers "I do"
7)and what ever else is close at hand
grin.gif

1. One box call, a Woods Wise Mystic. Muddy's right, these things can't be beat in a downpour. Just got a Lohman's box call for Christmas, though, so the Mystic will stay in the truck.

2. One mouth call. Quacker Boy Sceamin' Green Old Boss Hen. I am absolutely crazy about this call. It put dad's mouth call to shame once last year, but that's a whole story unto itself.
grin.gif

3. One friction call. It's an A-Way something-or-other. Has a big glass suface on top and a small slate underneath.

4. A Primos Power Crow, which I just found while rifling through dad's turkey vest and has currently been replaced in it's rightful location.
nono.gif

The way I figure, I've got just enough to be prepared for most situations and avoid the clutter at the same time.

Only one: a custom built Kaiser ( www.kaiserkalls.com )
canarywood-1.gif

Looks almost too nice to take to the field, but sounds too good to leave it at home.

To paraphrase an old saying "Beware of the man who only owns one call. He probably knows how to use it."

1. Home-made walnut box call

2. Ol' Yeller slate with five different strikers

3. Primos Raspy Hen split-reed triple diaphragm (My favorite!)

4. Primos single reed

5. Quaker Boy diaphragm

6. Primos Hammerin' crow call

7. Primos Owl Hooter

8. Super aluminator with acrylic striker (wet weather call)

Before the season, I want to add a tube call and a push-button box and will refresh my diaphragm supply. I usually team hunt with a buddy and we'll alternate through our calls until we find a combination that works them up. Easier to sound like a pair or more of hens using different calls.

Threebeards

first off, i was going to click on the last option on the poll, but instead went with the one just above it, as i was worried the phrase "just like muddy" would be grounds for a mental evaluation

but i carry:
kaiser kall, glass over slate (absolutely AWESOME)
h.s.strut glass
quakerboy gobble shaker
an assortment of diaphram calls,
varying reeds
quakerboy pushbutton call
quakerboy owl hooter (anyone wanna buy one, i will be using my voice from now on)
lohman 120, double chamber box call
quakerboy sweet butternot boatpaddle

probably missed some, but that is all i can remember

oh yeah.. [ QUOTE ]
It put dad's mouth call to shame once last year, but that's a whole story unto itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wanna hear that story
grin.gif

I had to click on #1
grin.gif
Not because I'm good but because I have only hunted with one call for the past 24 years. A homemade affair built from a 35mm film cannister, rubber glove and rubber band. It does an assortment of sounds and has worked for me.

Shovel- I made one out of an aluminum cigar tube with the bottom cut out- sounds great.

Not all the time, I carry:
Lynch box
Custom Kenny Harrel box
Crystal MAD friction
Titanium MAD friction
Lil Yeller friction
Power slot Primos friction
Custom New River slate friction
Power Owl
Hoot Flute
Primos Crow

1. Primos owl call
2. MAD or Quaker Boy Diaphram calls (3-4)
3. Lil Deuce Slate call
4. Crow call

I used to be like muddy and carry every call in the woods I had but the last 10 years, I have stuck with what has worked for me. For the birds that hang up and won't come in, my secret to those is to sneak as close as I can and that proves to be a tougher chore than calling at times.

Boy its been way to long since I had a triple in the works... I'm not the greatest of callers but I uasually fill both my spring tags annually...
I carried a screamin green triple and a QB box call my father got in the early 80's, one of the first that [censored] D i c k Kirby made by hand and was the first on the market... Still havent found a better box call and has alot of birds to acount for...

My main tactic for birds when the calling was tough and the calling sucked(in my younger days) I would go out late and just sit within shooting distance on the ridge that always had a bowl made from the biggest gobbler there scrapping. Thats what worked for me...

I carried 2-3 calls along with a owl locater call, most of the time...

Maybe we can get a video clip of Muddy doing some mouth yelps at the classic with a few sasperellies in him. What ya think Mudster...
grin.gif

1. Quaker Boy triple reed diaphram.-raspy hen
2. Quaker Boy Box Call
3. H.S. Owl Call
4. H.S. Crow Call
5. Quaker Boy double reed daiphram.

We have so many calls in my house its hard to name them all.
1 screaming hawk
2 crow call
3 palmer hoot tube.
4 raspy hen slate h.s.
5cody wood pot i think it is.
6 triple glass
7 custom cody
7 wood witch
8 a Grandpas custom paddle
8 wing bone (cant use it but have it)
10 gobble shaker thing, its a piece.
11 a hand ( for slpping on your thigh to simulate flydown)
grin.gif

WE have about ten more but i cant think of them right now.

I bring a black widow slate call, and a crow and owl call. If that don't work, I will just stalk one and get it over with
grin.gif

i forgot to mention a wingbone call, i sent my wings to a guy, and out of one of my wings, he will make a call for me, and he gets to keep the other wing. they should be arriving in a couple weeks

...this may take a while...I prefer to rotate the calls in my vest as to justify the need for so many...I usually take one box, a couple of slate style calls and few mouth calls...I also avoid taking my box calls out in the rain...

* HS Triple Glass
* Black Magic Aluminum
* Lil' Deuce II Slate
* MAD Cherry Bomb
* QB Mini Boat Paddle
* HS Mama Hen
* Perfection Box Call (I think)
* QB Easy Yelper
* K&H Lonesome Hen
* K&H Tube Yelper
* Power Crow
* Song Dog
* Whatever 3 or 4 mouth calls that don't smell too funky or feel too fuzzy in the early morning (I like HS, QB & Primos)
* I too use my own voice for an owl call...be the owl!...

Several mouth calls
a slate call a 98 yr.old man made me.
friction call
crow call
owl hooter
gobbler call ( if things get really boring)

Too Many!!! (is that possible?)

Dead Ringer Custom Box
Southland Custom Glass
Bob Martin Custom Slate
Assorted strikers
Red Wolfe Gobble Tube(H.S. Strut?)
MAD Venom (2)
MAD Shippwreck (2)
Preston Pittman Black Diamond
H.S. Strut V III (2)
Woodhaven Stinger
Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen