Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many dead deer?

I don't know if anyone has already done this, but i would like to see a running totsl of how many dead deer we have all found this year, hunting or shed hunting. Please list what state you are from when doing so. IOWA-23 to date, all doe's. South Dakota -03

Three fawns on ~400 acres. Appeared to die in their beds, guessing starvation. East central Iowa. The late born fawns probably didn't have adequate fat reserves built up then the ice storms capped the food sources.

I have found 5 dead bucks on my 270 in Iowa, couple does/fawns. I was sick when I found 5 BUT I found sheds off of 31 different bucks on my land as well. Kinda evens out I suppose.

I havn't been counting but it's kinda scary. Has to be more than two dozen. Found several in or around bedding area's.

I've found 6 in the past 2 weeks on my place. 4 were definately in and/or near the bed....leading me to believe starvation. Which is tought to take since I work so hard to provide year round food. Unfortunately I expect to find more now that the ice and snow is deteriorating. I also found 2 dead turkeys. Since they are smaller and tend to tuck away and die....I think the toll on them will be higher, in my area ,when its all said and done.
It all sucks either way.

11 so far. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
8 - button bucks
1 - 1.5 yo old buck
1- 2.5 yo buck
1 - yearling doe

I have only hit about 50% of my shed hunting spots so far due to the snow. It wont be long and the ground will be bare. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'd say around 15+ since oct. 1st. I found one of my buddys 140" 9pt that he shot Early Muzzy so that was alright. Other than that just alotta does!

I've only found one little fawn, it was pretty eaten and stunk pretty bad. So I didn't investigate it too much. I bet this will help with the DNR wanting to control population.

Top Bottom