Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many dead deer??

New bucks will fill the holes vacated by those who have died. The two biggest bucks on our farm were both killed this year (neither by me), so as depressing as it was I am still excited to see what will show up this year.

You just never know during the rut what deer will walk by your stand. It goes in cycles as well, seems like you may go a year without a solid deer and then all of sudden you have lots of bucks to choose from.

I need to clarify, the woods are quiet, very little sign. Most bucks, and does were wiped out. Going to be slow for several years, if hunting is reduced.

I need to clarify, the woods are quiet, very little sign. Most bucks, and does were wiped out. Going to be slow for several years, if hunting is reduced.

If the areas around you are decimated and there aren't any real deer numbers around then yes, you might be right, but at certain times it is amazing how the deer numbers on our farm change during certain seasons. During shotgun season, we see a lot of deer on our farm due to pressure around us.

I think some of you had over population if you are finding death field on just couple hundred acres, maybe why disease spread so good too.

I think some of you had over population if you are finding death field on just couple hundred acres

Pretty much the opposite. Us and several neighbors have managed several square miles (1700 acres) with a goal of 25-30 deer per square mile. We were ready for all the late seasons to go away. Bring in EHD, and lost most everything. Entire crop of 2-4 year old bucks gone from EHD and hunting, and does hammered too (the future breeders).

EHD is not spread by deer to deer contact- it's spread by a fly in the limited sources of water. If 5 deer or 50 deer, approach that only source of water, great % losses can happen with either number.

Have only found one dead deer so far, but haven't been able to walk the entire farm yet. Dead one was a 1.5 yr old buck, but I saw a similar one during shotgun season with a bad foot in the same area, so I'm thinking it may be the same one and coyotes got it. Wasn't around water either. I was hoping the little guy would make it thru...ended up as a waste of meat.

20 dead bucks so far and easily that many does. All bucks 21/2 or older and most were older than that. None of our cull bucks died, all were good deer.

The higher the deer numbers and less water the more dead. Simple equation. The midge lives in water and the more deer that visit that particular pond the more that die.

True entire bachelor groups could get wiped out, but again Mother Nature fixes over population numbers.

I Saw Winke throw out 50/mile and even with ample cover that seems outrageously high.

I saw a pic over the weekend of the Drury brothers and they found 36 over the weekend on one of their farms.

64790_529218797121034_1215975306_n.jpg

EHD is not spread by deer to deer contact- it's spread by a fly in the limited sources of water. If 5 deer or 50 deer, approach that only source of water, great % losses can happen with either number.

In a drought situation, with the midge hanging out around what little water is available, local deer density is only a factor in total number of deaths=more deer, potentially more deaths.

Bummer. Sure to have an impact on their guiding business.

I found (3) does and (1) buck yesterday, neighbor was down from Wisconsin and he found (11) yesterday.

Top Bottom