Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many people have missed a Booner?

Yes it was hi 180s with a bow. Just bad luck and I'm not talking about it.It happened twice once on the ground .Yes I'm still in therapy over that one.
smirk.gif

Several years ago while bow hunting, I took a shot at about 35 yards at a huge deer. The way he jumped away after the shot, I thought I had missed. He ran about 75 yards but was behind some brush, and he repeatedly did the "winding blow". I thought, whew, at least if I missed he may be back at a later date. When exiting, I went to retreive my arrow...it had hair and the slightest amount of blood just on the broadhead, nothing on the shaft. My heart sank. I searched for blood, but found nothing. Through much collaboration with my hubby and family, we determined that because of the distance, weight I was shooting, and evidence on the arrow that I had hit him in the shoulder blade and the arrow had bounced off.

In early December we found a shed off of the buck (Aaron help me with score), and figured we'd be lucky to see him again.

Last hunting season we saw him, at 10 yard with NO shot...talk about sinking feeling again! The neighbor's picked up his sheds...they weighed a total of 11 lbs...
bawling.gif

MULTIPLE betweem 1978 and 1985 WITH a shotgun to boot. I had a Real bad plan of watching deer run toward me until thet just about ran me over-then I,d always shoot over their backs cause I was peekin' over the sights all the time. It got so bad I darn near hung it up- I know it would take two hands or more to count this crippled and missed Booners from that time period. Sure wish I had learned not to peek a bit sooner.

Have not missed on with bow yet--but I'm sure my time is coming.

[ QUOTE ]
Several years ago while bow hunting, I took a shot at about 35 yards at a huge deer. The way he jumped away after the shot, I thought I had missed. He ran about 75 yards but was behind some brush, and he repeatedly did the "winding blow". I thought, whew, at least if I missed he may be back at a later date. When exiting, I went to retreive my arrow...it had hair and the slightest amount of blood just on the broadhead, nothing on the shaft. My heart sank. I searched for blood, but found nothing. Through much collaboration with my hubby and family, we determined that because of the distance, weight I was shooting, and evidence on the arrow that I had hit him in the shoulder blade and the arrow had bounced off.

In early December we found a shed off of the buck (Aaron help me with score), and figured we'd be lucky to see him again.

Last hunting season we saw him, at 10 yard with NO shot...talk about sinking feeling again! The neighbor's picked up his sheds...they weighed a total of 11 lbs...
bawling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Crybaby!

Yep,
18yds, hit a small branch that deflected the arrow and stuck him in the foot. I about puked, it stuck him to the ground for a second though, I thought I was going to get a second shot.

Pupster

in late muzz 05 missed a 150" 8 point at 50 yards , 4 days later a 175" 10 point came out and i missed him at 90 yards (the same buck my friend missed opening day at 100 yards in the timber). i wound up and threw my muzzleloader across the field about 20 yards. that spring i bought the new encore pro hunter and shot as much as i could with it and my .22 to improve my shooting.

Last year during bow season. A real nice 10 point at six yards, right over the top of him. I still want to puke thinking about it.

November 14, 1999 - got belly hair off of a 175" 8 point at 20 yards.

November 11, 2002 - missed a 220" nontypical with flat palmated beam tips almost identical to the way Shovelbuck's sheds palmate out. Following a doe, I stopped him broadside in the open at 31 steps. My sling was too tight around the bulky glove on my shooting hand. My fault, should have practiced wearing them ahead of time. The worst part about the whole thing was that very glove dropped to the ground before it got light, and I crawled down and picked it up that morning. That was the biggest buck I've ever had in range in open hunting season.

Been there done that...., TWICE!!

I should have two of the top three typical muzzleloader bucks in our state hanging on my wall, one was certainly a new state record netting over 183. The other was a solid 180 net. How do I know? Because I have the sheds off both of them deer. Its hard to even look at them sheds.

By the way, our record muzzleloader typical is 180 even, although a buck was killed in 2006 that nets 186 but is not entered as of now.

2005 bow season. Spot and stock. 3 FREAKIN yds on a terrace. High 160s-low 170s choclate colored 9 pt. The doe busted me just as I was releasing the arrow. All I hit was dirt where he laid!!
frown.gif
30570-chair.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I whiffed one with my muzzleloader 4 yrs ago - since I was shaking soooo bad with buck fever - and I had wet powder with another just 2 yrs back
frown.gif

I thought I was cursed for awhile.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How far away were they Avid?
evil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just say too close to have missed
crazy.gif

2005 Gun season. The buck in my avatar. I passed him in 2004 and had 18 trail cam pics of him in '05 - all at night. Only time I saw him in daylight and blew it. Have not seen him since.

On another related note, I almost passed a booner (gross) in '03. That year I was hoping to tag one of 2 wide racked 10's that were likely 160 class bucks. Had this one come out of a draw facing me and he has only a 17" spread so I knew right away it wasn't one of the 'target' animals so was going to pass him. He turned to the side though and I noticed he was bigger than I originally thought so I decided to take him - hoping he wasn't "too small"...ended up grossing 175" with 6.5" bases. He has 13" of deductions though so doesn't net a booner.

Oh last year shotgun season for sure... It was First season and we we're hunting this huge field wit timber all around like a horse shoe shape.. 3 of us were place behind some small finger of crp that ran straight down the field. Pretty soon, we started hearin shot after shot and saw patches of orange movin through some timber across the field.. Soon enough 2 does came running full sprint right passed me; almost scared my colon clean lol. Then pretty soon I heard some more shots and saw this set of antlers floating through the weeds, on a dead run and I seriously thought I would go in cardiac arrest.. This Buck had a rack That was tall and wide...must of been atleast 14pt. and just a beautiful bleached rack.. almost looked elkish in appearance. I was gunna take a shot but i didn't want to risk injurin him and havin someone that didn't deserve harvesting him scoring and plus I had only four sabots wit me and those are like 8-10 dollars a box lol. So i decided to pass off on him and let one of my buddies have a shot that was just set down from me, in a creek bottom and was leavin for the marines in a year.. Guess what happened, "He cleaned out, but no deer!!" That same hunt, towards the end of the drive, almost literally got ran over by a small eight. Moral of the story, " u can never have enough bullets lol"
frown.gif

Nov.9th 2005 gunted a giant into 20 yards and when he stoped there was a Y shaped stick in front of his vitels,at that time I had already drawn my bow and was waiting,ONE MORE STEP I was thinking and thats just what he did right back the same wat he cam in.No shot after that.It was the biggest deer I had ever laid eyes on I the woods,my guess 180"+ 12 points with some small stickers.Hardest thing I ever had to do was let that bow down and not shoot!From now on every time I sit in that stand I think man what an encounter!
smirk.gif

I missed one about 2 years ago. I talked a buddy into letting me hunt his ground one day. I ended up ground hunting as there weren't any stands. Its a really long story but ends up I have a huge 12 pointer 40 yards away broad side and couldn't get a shot due to a huge multi flower rose bush. So I talked to the land owner got my stand up then it happend. Put my brother in my stand took my climber got in a crappy tree rattled and then 2 monsters came in. One was probably a typically 14 or 16 pointer. I would estimate well over 200 inches (typical) was with a 10 pointer which scored 178. A guy shot him during shot gun season. 20 yard shot I had him dead if the last possible limb didn't throw the arrow right over his back. This was at like 2:00 in the afternoon so I sat there for about 3 hours banging my head into a tree and crying. The bad thing is the land owner started bow hunting and I don't get to hunt there any more.

Then last year thanksgiving morning start to climb out of my tree at 10 oclock and I see a body. I rattle and a huge 10 pointer runs within 20 yrds. I make a good shot and he whirls and all i caught was fur.

So 2 years 2 booners and nothing to show for it except a few scares on my forehead from banging the tree. My friends think I'm full of crap. I just need to put on of those monsters on the ground and tell them to bite me.

I hate to say it, but hearing all of these miss stories makes me feel a little bit better about my miss. Everytime it comes to mind though, I still get a little rush of adrenaline like that buck is walking in again.

Thanks guys

Never missed one, made a bad shot on a 168" 9 pt. at 6 yds. quartering to me in 2002. Found him the next day, what a relief!
Nov. 10th last year had one that looked almost identical, except this one was a 5X5 easily over 175" within 18 yds. but couldn't get a shot. Saw him at about 80 yds. away and clicked the horns together. Took him 15 minutes to cover 60 yds. looking in my direction the whole time. I had to turn my head away for a couple minutes or my heart would have pounded out of my chest. He came in from behind me and made a big circle downwind. Never winded me, but sure knew something was wrong when he couldn't see the bucks that were fighting. Keeps me coming back for more!

Several years back a friend had told me about a buck he had seen on the neighbors land several times a said this was the guy to hunt.I had not been there yet that year and took several days from work to hunt.That morning I had several small bucks come by but passed.It was lunch time and I decided to head to the truck for a sandwich and a cold drink since it was about 72 degrees that day.I got back in the stand about 1:00 pm and was using a climber.All morning they were bird hunting the place next door and were several shot a I was walking in that afternoon.I get to where I wanted to be and bent down to secure the seat on the climber when I see leggs below somw branches of a pine.I freeze and the big buck walked up the same trail I had just come in on and stands broadside to me at 15 yards or less the bad thing is my bow was still haging at the bottom of the tree with my release hanging off of it.He stood there for several minutes and finally walked off.Never had another chanch because he always stayed next door and that dat he was bumped by those bird hunters.He was shot that first shotgun season and went 198" and had bases you could barley wrap your hands around.I still see him in my dreams and always have my realease on when I leave the truck.

Top Bottom