Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many welcome Outfitters in Iowa???

It's not about if I welcome them or not. If I was pressed to say yes or no I'd have to say no. I surely would not like to have one move in next to the farm I hunt or outbid me for the rights. But that has to be part of what our NR tag restrictions are set up for.

I do support free enterprise. I do think that if your business is based on the use of a natural resource and/or tourism representing Iowa there should be some regulations or licensing required.

Some of the posts mentioned the penalties some outfitters have for shooting small bucks. I used to do a lot of work out east and met several guys that gladly paid that penalty to shoot the biggest buck of their lives. Most of the rest would have to.

If I won the lottery a lot of folks would hate me too.

I love all ya'll, even the THA4 Haters.... :moon: I'm really the Devil wearing camo....

:grin:
Never said I hated you Thomas. We have agreed to disagree on this subject where you think people with the money can come in to our state and what they want, even when they cheat the system to benefit them self(aka Drury's). But you have a diffrent tune when people from "Friends of Iowa " do the same thing. So why should Mickey Hellickson not be able to come back home to be able to hunt the land he owns every year just because he is a NR? He worked hard down at the King Ranch and made his money, so according to you he should be able to take advantage of that . It is a free country.

And Wapsi, I do not have a problem with people making a living in the outdoors industries. I am glad Thomas is taking care of his family doing what he loves and I know there are other members doing the same. The difference is I will no longer by magazines or videos or the the latest "Bone Crusher " or "Dream Season " product or anything that puts a dollar in someones product that come here to buy or lease ground to keep filling their pockets off of Iowa deer hunting. Just my views.

Last edited:
The difference is I will no longer by magazines or videos or the the latest "Bone Crusher " or "Dream Season " product or anything that puts a dollar in someones product that come here to by or lease ground to keep filling their pockets off of Iowa deer hunting. Just my views.

I think you nailed it right here FB :way::way::way:

. The difference is I will no longer by magazines or videos or the the latest "Bone Crusher " or "Dream Season " product or anything that puts a dollar in someones product that come here to buy or lease ground to keep filling their pockets off of Iowa deer hunting. Just my views.

And that is exactly what you should do!! :way: That is your right and what makes this country great.

Yes, you don't even need a guide licenses in Iowa.

It is really pathetic and quite troublesome if you think about it. There are no guidelines or laws that deter dill-holes from becoming outfitters in this state. Even ones that have been run out of their home states for reasons unknown to their new clients. Using pictures of sheds and dead heads not even found on their hunting properties and having close friends post their "awesome hunting experiences" in the testimonial section of their web-sites are just a few of the tricks some of these guys use. And with Iowa's WHOPPING trespass fine of $65, these so called guides who are bringing down over $3000 for a 5 day hunt will gladly stop by the county court house to pay their fines. Heck, it's cheaper than leasing land! I have never had a good experience with the outfitters that the "Iowa" hunting craze has brought to my area. :mad:

IMO...Guides will be the end of hunting as a common mans sport. They will turn it into a rich mans sport.

Guide are currently driving up the price of Recreational ground for purchase, land that one use to get to hunt from helping someone out on their property or even so much as family farm access is going by the way to BIG DOLLAR. Farmers are more apt to lease thier land out instead of just allowing someone to hunt as it was.

Dont kid yourself. GUIDING IS BIG BUSINESS in the sport of Hunting. I am all for a property owner making money off thier land but guiding is a major factor why the land for access is dwindling. Iowa is fourtunate enough to have had the State and DNR able to purchase tons of land for public access, most of this ground you can gurrentee would be locked up to guiding if that had not happened.

I dont care what guides say, they are in it for the money and every last one of them will say it is all about the hunter and making it a life experience. Let me tell you something, THEY HAVE TOO!! Otherwise the would not be able to market their business. They have to shoot deer and keep the kill percentage up to bring in clients. I would be saying the same thing if I got $3500 per person to come hunt my ever expanding empire of prime hunting ground. The more I have, the more bigger bucks and the more I can charge them. The bigger the lodge I can make the more food plots I can have, the more I can MAKE!!

GUIDES again are Big Business and will be the end of hunting as a common mans sport. It is already happening.

Again, that is MY PERSONAL OPINION and I am entitled to it. It is just how I feel about it. Becoming a commercialized sport for the rich.

Sorry for ranting.

My favorite is when Iowa DNR employees outfit hunters and trespass on land they shouldnt be on...just saying ...any way not calling any individual out on a public forum

Top Bottom