Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many years have you been hunting?

R

Rembrandt

It's been said that the more you do something...the more accomplished you become. How many years have you been hunting deer?.....shotgun-muzzleloader-handgun or bow?

I went deer hunting for the first time in Virginia about a year ago. I went for the second time this year. No results yet but I wasn't going to shoot one of those doe that just walked past the stand in the first days of the season.
smile.gif

2 Years bow hunting (got my first bow deer this year/Button Buck)

3 years shotgun hunting(Shot a 9 Pointer) To see a picture of my 9 pointer check ot the photo gallery under Christian's First Buck.

deerslayer22788

I first started shotgun hunting deer in 1987. Started bowhunting in 1995. The years go by so fast.

1976, Bow, shotgun, 1985 muzzleloader. Now just bow and muzzleloader. And its still as much fun at 16 as it is at, well do the math,
smile.gif

Shot my first deer in WVA in '75 when I was
10, it's been one wild fantastic ride ever since!! I look forward more every year to the opening of bow season, may the anticipation never end.

I started shotgun hunting when I was 12 and got my first bow for X-Mas when I was 14. My folks always used to tell me when I was growing up if I knew half as much as I knew about hunting and sports I would be rich.

1968, Bow (recurves only) my first compound in 1979 "Bear Whitetail" still have it but don't use it anymore except for a few target shots. 1970, Shotgun quit in 1987 got to dangerous trespassers almost shot my 14 year old son. Muzzeloader since 1988. All have been alot of fun except for one incident mentioned above.

BB

Went bowhunting for the first time in 1973. Can't remember my first deer but I do remember that it took a couple seasons before I got one. Had a Bear recurve and Zwickey broadheads. I bought cedar arrows at the hardware store, cut off the fields points and sharpened the end of them with a pencil sharpener so I could glue the broadheads on. I didn't know anyone who bowhunted and I didn't know where to get equipment. The following year, I got introduced to the Herter's Catalog and I bought a Herter's Black Mountain Hunter compound bow for $39, the first one anyone had seen that I talked to. I still have it. Man have times changed. I was 14 in '73 and my folks wouldn't let me own a gun, so a bowhuntin' I went, on a friend's land near Pilot Knob state park. Today, it's all public hunting land.

Those were fantastic days; I was so wide-eyed with wonder about the outdoors. If I close my eyes I can see so much of it in my mind's eye. I'd give anything to get those youthful feelings back again. Now with nearly 30 years of bowhunting under my belt, there's not much new anymore. Thanks for the chance to reminisce.

1965...first deer w/shotgun

1978...started bow hunting, could only get one tag for gun, so expanded to archery for more hunting opportunities.

1986...bought my first Knight and started muzzleloader hunting.

1990...began handgun hunting (other states) I Hunted 7 states in one year....sort of gets addicting...

I started bowhunting when I was 12. Learned everything I know from my Grandpa! That was in 87'. Shot my first deer the following year,10 pointer. Hooked ever since! Didn't do much shotgun or muzzle loader hunting. Grandpa was old school, didn't hunt with anything but a recurve since 1945.

I started hunting with a bow in 1974, when I was 14. I could not drive yet and my dad did not deer hunt at the time, so I only got to go when someone would drive me 7 - 10 miles to the nearest river. In 1977 I shot my 1st deer with a bow, a 5 point buck(no brow tines). I have shot a deer with either my bow or muzzleloader (or both) almost every year since. Somewhere in there I got my dad interested in bow hunting, and I got him a cross bow permit when he retired 11 years ago. (his shoulders won't let him pull a bow). He is 76 now and still shooting deer. My son is 7, I can't wait to teach him too, so I have a hunting buddy.

It is a great past time.

IaCraig

I started bow hunting when I was 14 in '89 with my dad, shot a doe the first weekend it was awesome! I started shotgun 3 years later. Still do both but witch one do you think I prefer?

Started bowhunting in 1998, started shotgun hunting deer in 1986? I think it was 86 it's hard to remember. Remember quail hunting on my grandpa's farm in Adams County in 1978. There sure was alot of quail around back then.

This past year was my 13th year deer hunting! Shotgun for 12 of them and picked up the muzzleloader 4-5 years ago! Played around with a bow for about 10 years, but nothing serious. Just like to be out!

Started hunting crows with a pellet gun in 1957. There was a 10 cent bounty on crows at that time. Took me most of a year to earn $1. Sure hooked me on hunting though.

Started bowhunting in 1968 with a York recurve and Herter's wooden arrows. Made a sight with pins and tape. Had an exposed bow quiver. Didn't even know they made them with covers. Took my first deer that year. Still remember it like it was yesterday. No, I remember it better than I remember yesterday. Can't even remember what I had for supper yesterday. By the way, anyone would give you permission to bowhunt then. Of course no one thought you would really kill a deer with a bow, and usually we didn't.

I don't know what year I started muzzle loading. Still do, partly because I can get my wife and daughter to join me. My daughter took a nice buck last year with a muzzle loader while I video taped the hunt. My wife shot a nice doe two nights ago, then my daughter tracked it with a small flashlight while I went back for a bigger light. She found it about the time I got back.

Shotgun hunted for several decades but now I just get some work done on the farm while watching for trespassers during shotgun season and waiting for bow season to reopen.

Started killin' pigeons and sparrows at age 5 back in 1982, started on squirrels and everything else around the age of 9. Been bowhuntin since then and have muzzleloader hunted the past 5 years. Only took me durn near 20 years to finally cash in on a buck over ear wide which happend this year

MW

Dad got me my first bow & arrows around 1964. I can remember him and my uncle talking
about bowhunting back then and how excited they got when they seen a DEER TRACK!

In 1970 my Dad started me on an apprenticeship for bowhunting deer. He took me to the field and showed me all he could about whitetailed deer in Iowa. When he went hunting he would put me in a tree nearby (with no stand or bow) and watch me to make sure I knew how to sit still. He was very serious about the priveledge and responsibility of hunting with a bow & arrow. And back then you spent many hours sitting just to SEE a deer.

Finally in 1973 after passing the in home shooting test, I got to take a #45 Browning recurve and ONE cedar arrow with a Bear BH to the woods.

On the second night out I looked up to see a fork horn right in front of me standing still. I somehow made a vital shot and Dad was as proud as he could be. I guess the training paid off. Me and Dad have bowhunted together since then, and we have gathered trophies too numerous to count that have nothing to do with any animals we have taken.

Like Old Buck mentioned, getting a deer with a bow was not expected back then. I remember all kinds of people coming by to see the deer taken with a bow & arrow.

I have always felt that GOD allows me to be a bowhunter and helps me quite regularly. I have been blessed to have hunted Iowa every year since starting.

I finally started hunting deer with a gun in the mid 90's to broaden my tunnel vision a little but it will never take the place of the bow and arrow for me.

Started bowhunting with my dad in 1983. First bow kill was a rabbit, still not sure how I hit it but I did. The next year my dad and I shot back-to-back bucks and he put our picture in Bowhunter magazine. Pretty exciting for a 13 year old. Started shotgun hunting in 1985 and haven't missed a year yet.

My son is 5 this month and I can hardly wait to get him involved. Spending a lot of time now building relationships with landowners and working with Pheasants Forever and other organizations to maintain and improve habitat for my kids to enjoy the way I have.

Happy New Year everyone.

Started hunting with dad the fall of 1964,started shotgunnin when i got out of Marine Corps in 1976, started bow hunting in 1979, love to bow hunt.......HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL..GOD BLESS AMERICA........

Top Bottom