Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How much food on 40 acres?

Qdmaer

I have a property that is a majority of cover and was wondering out of the 40 how many acres of food sources would make the property have good movement? Surrounding property is a lot of cover with farm fields here and there.

I'm certainly no expert here but I just read that Dr. James Kroll suggested 2 acres of food plots for every 80 acres of land. Using that math it would be 1 acre for your 40 acres.

Good Luck!:way:

Where is your land at? Northern Michigan will be different than Southern Michigan. The amount of food you can grow in the growing season. The deer density will affect your selection. Also early season food or late season. Some more info will help to answer your question.

Food

I have a 40, 44 and a 50 that I own, hunt or manage. You need 3 acres of food if you have a high deer density, if not 2-2.5 will work. I don't think one is enough.

Where is your land at? Northern Michigan will be different than Southern Michigan. The amount of food you can grow in the growing season. The deer density will affect your selection. Also early season food or late season. Some more info will help to answer your question.

Its central michigan with extremely high deer density. I have a ghosttown because the neighbors have 30 acres of food and i only have 3 acres. I am thinking i should have about 6 acres of food to keep the deer around.

You may be competing with destination food sources if the neigboring food sources are large fields. Depending on your terrain, prevailing winds, access, equipment, resources etc. ideally I would think a larger plot in the core of your property with surrounding small hunting (kill) plots leading from bedding areas to your core plot would be best. Without an understanding of your local hurdles all of this is just a guess on what's best. If you can put up an aerial of the surrounding area and one of your property that would help.

You may be competing with destination food sources if the neigboring food sources are large fields. Depending on your terrain, prevailing winds, access, equipment, resources etc. ideally I would think a larger plot in the core of your property with surrounding small hunting (kill) plots leading from bedding areas to your core plot would be best. Without an understanding of your local hurdles all of this is just a guess on what's best. If you can put up an aerial of the surrounding area and one of your property that would help.

I agree 100% percent with you. Thats the gameplan is to cut in some more food inside my switchgrass that will be the destinate plot. We have great cover of a lot of hingecut areas with switchgrass and pines. Just needed reassurance from someone so i can finalize my plan.

I would go with 3 acres if you have really high densities. What are the farm fields around you? Do they leave anything standing? Hard to be standing soybeans I would imagine up there just like down here. Then you can also double crop by broadcasting in some rye/radishes/oats etc when the leaves start to yellow.

Having the plot in the middle of your property, only hunting the edges and also having plenty of cover in between can be a sweet setup on small farms. The deer will not feel the pressure per say on the middle 20 acres and it will have it all, food, cover, water and no pressure.

The question of food is not about acres...that is a variable impossible to predict and I disagree with Grant or any one who attempts to "guess" how much is needed.

Every landowner needs to grow enough food to feed deer year around or they will do exactly as is happening here...go to the neighbors! Certainly each of you know that all land is not capable of producing the same yields so one acre of dry sandy soil cannot produce anywhere near as much as one acres of black loam...so "acres" is irrelevant.

Each landowner must (with some trial and error) grow enough to feed deer year around...that can be done on a 1/2 acre or even a 1/4 acre in some places while 20 acres may not be enough with very high deer densities.

The first step is utilizing crops that can stand heavy grazing and provide food for the longest period of time so always start with white clover. Only in severe cases can white clover be decimated (high deer densities, poor soils or poor choice of clovers)

The second step is to add other crops and where high deer densities are involved that rules out soybeans and corn. In most cases a combination of brassicas and the winter rye mix will fill the need.

So...you start with what you have (any landowner) if you have one acre and they decimate it, then double it and continue to increase both yields (thru proper fertilization, crop rotation and use of the right crops for that situation) until you consistently have feed left over...some turnips uneaten and rye not eaten to the dirt.

If you have outstanding cover (safe secure bedding areas) then you will have plenty of deer and they will require plenty of food but plenty of food can be grown in a fairly small area if done right but it can not be done with ONE food source.

The threads in Dbltree's corner explain in detail exactly how to attract and hold whitetails...but the answer is not in any one thread...it lies in ALL of them. Divide your feeding area and plant 10-20% clover and divide the rest into brassicas and the rye combination found in the cereal grain thread...soil test and fertilize heavily...you'll feed a tremendous amount of whitetails on a small amount of land.

Forget about "how many acres"...that is a variable yet to be determined and no man on this earth can tell you the answer to that....;)

What Dbltree said. I know that you were looking for a magic # of acres but you need to be sure to have enough food to attract and hold deer during the hunting season. I wouldn't be afraid to do at least 5-6 acres of various food types like Dbltree suggested. Depending on your neighbors you may have the desired habitat and food in the area to draw in non-resident deer during the hunting season. I usually will error on the side of excess food. If you have to clear areas for your plots be sure to factor in predominant winds, access routes to your stands and what areas to place the plots depending on terrain and soil types. If clearing areas be sure to use cleared trees to block entry into the plot to help funnel deer past your stands. An aerial photo of your property with predominant wind directions and labels for types of habitat and many people on this site could help you lay out the property. The fun is just beginning. "The threads in Dbltree's corner explain in detail exactly how to attract and hold whitetails...but the answer is not in any one thread...it lies in ALL of them." Read them all and you'll have the necessary tools at your hands. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Alfalfa

Well guys, i was approached to farm off 8.5 acres of alfalfa in the middle which will experiance 0 hunting pressure. Closest alfalfa field around me is 2 miles away. Should be deadly.:drink2::drink1:

Well guys, i was approached to farm off 8.5 acres of alfalfa in the middle which will experiance 0 hunting pressure. Closest alfalfa field around me is 2 miles away. Should be deadly.:drink2::drink1:

Hard to beat alfalfa...should work great for you! :way:

For those with questions about this subject I have a thread called "Getting Started" that covers this very subject on page two.

Getting Started

There is a great deal of information there on almost every imaginable subject of getting your habitat program started and almost everyone regardless of how long you have had your farm...can gain some insight form it...;)

I have forty acres 12 of which is tillable and rest pasture and timber. I put two in Antlerking Trophy Clover and two in turnip plots. I admit I watch too much tv but I do envolve the kids and if I harvest something off a plot it's worth it the kids like to help and see what comes out of the ground after planted.

I think it all depends on how much food is around you i'm in northeast iowa and I put in 5 acres of corn and put everything on it needs and then some but it will be gone by Jan, but the problem is that i get every deer around the area because there is nothing but crp around me for miles but i guess thats a good problem to have for late season.:drink2:

Top Bottom