Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How much is TOO much??

NWBuck

PMA Member
OK...now I have a typical late-summer/early-fall question. How much pressure on a mature buck this time of year is too much ? Here's why I ask...I've gotten a couple of camtraker photos of 140+ bucks this summer. While this is exciting, I did so at the expense of invading their area on about 4 separate occasions. Also, I glassed a beautiful 150 inch buck a week or so ago, and spent most of Saturday building a stand near that area. I kind of feel like I've spent too much time in the "core areas" of these bucks, and maybe reduced my chances of getting a good look at them come October. Anyone have experience or ideas on this subject? Thanks, and good luck in another month or so!

I think you'll be ok. As long as the deer have enough time to kinda settle down after you are done. I guess it is better to do it now then closer to hunting season.

NWBUCK
I would stay out of there completely. I think you would be crazy to go in there at all. The only chance I would take in the early season, is if you would happen to know any female non-residents with an archery buck tag.
ID :)

Arrowsmith,

Sounds like a plan...just hope she can hit 'em
smile.gif

P.S. How the heck did you get that buck in the profile picture to move his head???

I had the trail camera set on a 15sec delay and was lucky enough to catch two pictures of him where he didn't move his feet, just his head and upper body. Then I edited the picture to create one animated .gif. Ask the ol' man about his ideas on which end of the camera goes up.

In case you don't know, that's the sumac corner fence post facing northwest with a hand full of Jolly Green.

Anytime you're not in there hunting them with a legal tag is too much if you ask me. Camtrakkers are nice, but if your scouting has already told you a good buck is in the area, I would pretty much clear out, save for building a necessary stand. Just get in there, get the work done as scent free and quietly and quickly as possible, then amscray until the winds are right and you have a legal tag.

That is probably a hard thing to say with 100% certainty. But my experience always makes me feel I get limited opportunities to bump the big boys in their turf.

I think all these deer know humans and are accustomed *somewhat* to having us around. A fifty acre plot I hunt had a 14 pointer that counted coup on both my dad and I on separate occasions and never was taken as far as we know. We each only saw him once.

The owner is always chopping wood, mowing lanes, generally making a racket all over that 50 acres. He saw that deer all the time!

So what I think, getting your area all good and stinky this time of year lets those big deer know that humans are sometimes there but no harm came of it.

When I go scouting I wear street clothes that have been washed in scentkiller so that I leave a scent similar to that I will leave in the fall. Since they have smelled me before, it is no longer a completely foriegn smell.

I wear street clothes, though, so they can see me. In the fall, they'll smell me but not not see me and won't think I'm in the area!!

Then again, I could have too much time to think about this stuff....

Arrowsmith,
Hey...at least he managed to get the shutter open this time
smile.gif

Nope...I wouldn't have recognized that as the sumac corner, but can see it now. Talk to you sometime this weekend.

Top Bottom