Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How often is too often, per stand?

loneranger

Hello Gentlemen and Women, Your help in the past has been very helpful, THANKS! I read articles about spending too much time in tree stands. Too many days in a row. Yet during rut, you should put in as much time as possible. Solution I guess is to put in as much time as you can ,in alot of stands. Problem is, I have two stands on the 40 acres I own.How much time would be too much time using two stands?Thanks again,the loneranger.

Just trying to be helpful
grin.gif
But like TRX said on your other thread,you would probably have better luck on Iowa Whitetail Conference with this type question.Good luck.
grin.gif

Loneranger,I'd have to say it depends on your stand location, each is different.I personally like to jump around so I don't burn stands out,with the wind dictating which stand to hunt.Alot of variables come into play,making certain stands burnout more quickly than others.Do you have easy access to the stand that won't alarm deer?On your way to the stand,will you come in contact with vegetation near your area,that the deer will pick up,even after your gone? And most of all whats the wind direction and currents in that location?Stands in bottoms seem to burnout much quicker than stands on high areas due to swirling winds and currents that settle with your scent.So you have to consider these things,as for how much you should hunt a given stand without burning it out.Over the years I found some stands due to location could almost be hunted everyday without alarming deer.You won't find many stands like this,if any, but some do exist,which normally have all the variables I mentioned in your favor.One thing you can do to help preventing burnout,is to place dead logs around your stand like a fence to keep deer out.Even with clean entries and exits,You'll leave most scent at the base of your tree.I do this at some trees well before the season,which keeps them from sniffing around the base of your tree when your not there.So there's alot to consider and things you can do to help.I'm sure the deer will let you know how much to hunt a particular stand though.

Top Bottom