Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How often?

TheMadCatter

If you process your own deer, how often do you find broad heads in them? We've had it happen 3 times now. 2 bucks and a button buck have had just the broad head in them. My first buck had a broad head inside on his spine. Surprised he didn't grow weird, however he was healed on the outside. But inside a major infection had taken place though we ate all the areas that weren't infected.

Just a conversation starter I guess with the bad weather I'm sure most of you are bored...or Coyote hunting.

Sent from my iPod touch using IW

Last edited:
Never found broad heads but my dad used to say, back when he still hunted with the shotgun group, how once in a while a big buck would have bird shot under his hide from pheasant hunters peppering him.

I have never found anyone elses inside him. I killed a deer with a crossbow bolt out of its head, but otherwise none.. I have pulled deer slugs out while skinning that never broke the shoulder...

Never and I've processed a lot of deer. Seems strange that it's never happened to me now that I think about it.

Probably had it happen 5 or 6 times, but that's over a 150-ish (who knows) deer cut up.... I'm always cautious if there seems to be some abnormality in the hide, etc.

No doubt about it, deer are survivors and take a beating throughout the year.... if not by broaheads ,by antlers, fences, thorns, etc.

Happened once to a group I was shotgun hunting with in NW IA in 2008. Young buck had a broad head in his brisket from earlier that same season, area around the wound was pretty gross.

Over the years and way over 100 head of deer processed, I've found arrowheads maybe 3 or 4 times. Once killed a mule deer with and an intact arrow through the dorsal spines of it's vertebra that had been there a couple of weeks. Also have found 3 old shotgun slugs from previous seasons. Also discovered a handful of #4 birdshot in my grinder after processing a deer. Suspect someone tried to fill their bow tag while pheasant hunting???

Saw something like this on a hunting show, but someone shot at a buck that was damn near walking directly away from them. arrow just settled next to his rip cage and that where is stayed. the wound healed up and the next year same guy shoots it with a gun and finds the arrow still inside. I wanna say it was on one of Jay Gregorys shows.

Found a 100 grain Muzzy in a loin of a nice buck, there was so much scar tissue wrapped around it that we ended up tossing about 10 inches of loin out... I still have the broadhead...

Weve found a few of our slugs or slug wounds from past years. A buddy of mine found a broadhead with 8" of arrow inside his shotgun buck

A buddy of mine shot a buck two years ago that had a rage in both shoulders! It was a muzzy that did the trick. Take that rage fans. :)

Benelliblaster said:
A buddy of mine shot a buck two years ago that had a rage in both shoulders! It was a muzzy that did the trick. Take that rage fans. :)

It's all about shot placement

Took a nice 10 pt a few years ago during shotgun 1. Gutted it and found a broadhead along with 8 inches of an aluminum arrow shaft just below the rib cage in line with the vitals. It was also completely healed over, but was infected inside near the broadhead and shaft. It was the first time I had seen it.

Found broadhead blades near the spine on a nice bull elk my son shot a couple years ago with a muzzleloader in Colorado. I'm sure someone was pretty sick that they shot so high.

Top Bottom