Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How to break up a Big Buck Fight!

What to do..... I know legaly you if you don't have a tag don't shoot. I would tend to speculate however that most game warden's would allow you to harvest both. What if I don't get cell reception where I hunt, and can't call the DNR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would tend to speculate however that most game warden's would allow you to harvest both</div></div>

i wouldn't bet on it.

thats an awesome video!!! its too bad though cause they both look like nice bucks. i wonder how much that really happens and then they break themselves loose after a while..... cool vid though. and it was a great shot too!!!!!

Not much of a tracking job required on that one! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'd almost have to say I'd put and arrow in both of them. I'd hate to see them suffering locked together and it doesn't seem right to have to wait on the CO to get there.

CCK

personally, I could never do what that guy just did no matter how big.

Just something about that didn't seem that sporting to me. I just feel like I would rather shoot a buck on much different terms rather than locked on to another buck.

Now if i stalked up and they were fighting, broke loose, then i would feel better about taking a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallTines</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally, I could never do what that guy just did no matter how big.

Just something about that didn't seem that sporting to me. I just feel like I would rather shoot a buck on much different terms rather than locked on to another buck.

Now if i stalked up and they were fighting, broke loose, then i would feel better about taking a shot. </div></div>

Ditto.... I have little if any respect for any 'hunter' that would fill his tag on a locked up buck. There is no fair chase in that.... would the same guy shoot a buck tangled in a fence, etc? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Here's a thought to ponder.............big buck, dragging what is left of another big buck around by it's head.

Do you shoot the trophy of a lifetime of do you let him walk, knowing death is imminent at the heands of ole Mother Nature herself?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a thought to ponder.............big buck, dragging what is left of another big buck around by it's head.

Do you shoot the trophy of a lifetime of do you let him walk, knowing death is imminent at the heands of ole Mother Nature herself? </div></div>

That is a different scenario for sure. The 2 in the video had a fighting chance at breaking loose while your scenario Saskguy is more of a ethical, pity shot decision.

I would shoot the buck but it would not be something that I would consider the buck of a lifetime. I would shoot and then call the DNR immediatly, explain the scenario, and see if I could get a salvage tag. I would view it more like I found a dead deer rather than killed it hunting myself.

If I felt there was obviously going to be one dying I would whack the weaker one and get the sawzall and start cutting antlers I think.... I couldnt kill them and consider them trophies.

Is that a DNR officer in the pic as the camera man moves? Looks like they were getting ready to shoot both of the deer.

In scenario 1, 2 locked bucks....no shooting, heck I only have one tag....so what's the point? lol

Scenario 2...locked bucks, one live on dead, I'm shooting.I'm not trying to be an antagonist but... Say what you want but in all honesty I love the whitetailed deer as much as anybody, consider myself very very ethical and compassionate towards all wildlife, but I'm shooting. Realistically I know an animal that has endured that much stress, lockup, predators eating his combatant, difficulty in travel and everyday routines is not making it through a Canadian winter. I also know that there is no way on earth that me at 100% is a match for a wild whitetail buck with 5% of his strength so I won't be crazy enough to try subdue him and free him. I also think that a deer, that is going to die anyways....may as well be on my wall admired forever, than dead in the big woods of Canada, eaten alive by predators and never seen again. Call me crazy, but that's how I feel.

I agree, with tall tines, that kill was not what bowhunting is about!!! I would of left them alone.

No doubt in my mind I would have shot at least one of them.
Before doing so I would make cetain I 1) gave the the deer more than enough time to seperate 2) would free the other animal. No way I could shoot both of them. Actually it would be hard to put an arrow in the first buck. It would be a tough decision to make nontheless. But I would feel better about myself as a hunter to end the life of a monarch buck in less that 30 seconds rather than know they both could have been eaten alive.
As soft as I am towards gods creatures, I tend to forget that we as hunters are killers.

I can't honestly say what I would do for sure unless I was actually put in the situation. What if they were just a couple young bucks without big racks on them? I think most of us, myself included, would be less likely to shoot one of them. However, that doesn't mean that the deer deserve to suffer big or small. I do know that I would make sure the two deer were separated in one way or another. Whether I got help from friends to saw an antler or two to free them ( witch I have heard of and seen video of more than once) or call the DNR and let them decide how to handle it.

I guess I didn't realize that they were just fighting, I thought that they were "locked". I believe that I would still shoot at one. I wouldn't want to let them die in the wooods either. I would rather honor them and have them put through less suffering.

Anyone that has extensive hunting experience, knows this situation can occur, and that you wouldn't really want to tag a buck in this manner.

However, as much respect and admiration as I have for whitetails, it would be common sense for me to put an end to the battle, legally, and if I knew there was zero chance of them becoming unlocked.

I'm not even sure it would upset me to use my anysex archery tag in this manner. It would be a rare experience that would leave a mark on that year's bow season.

I would not consider it a big accomplishment, I would not consider it as an achieved goal of mine, it was just something that mother nature served on my plate that day.

The question is not will the bucks die, but how will they die? It is possible to have reverence for life, and still maintain your awareness, that you as a hunter, are playing a role in the cycle of life.

I would feel bad about the situation, but I would do what I felt was the best resolve for the bucks at that moment.

Mother nature is not painless, or fair.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not consider it a big accomplishment, I would not consider it as an achieved goal of mine, it was just something that mother nature served on my plate that day.

The question is not will the bucks die, but how will they die? It is possible to have reverence for life, and still maintain your awareness, that you as a hunter, are playing a role in the cycle of life.

I would feel bad about the situation, but I would do what I felt was the best resolve for the bucks at that moment.

Mother nature is not painless, or fair.....

</div></div>

As usual Kent, you have worded, far better, what I was trying to say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditto.... I have little if any respect for any 'hunter' that would fill his tag on a locked up buck. There is no fair chase in that.... would the same guy shoot a buck tangled in a fence, etc? </div></div>

Dennis...just curious after you have read my post above, if you would still respect me in the morning... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom