Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How to cool deer

socker1485

With the warm weather for this coming shotgun season, what do you guys do to cool your deer? How long do you think they will be ok for? Also do you think that putting the deer in a cold water creek would help? We are hunting big public ground and I am thinking that is our best option

Do not put it in a creek. I'd bring plenty of coolers, debone or quarter it and get them cooling. You may be okay skinning and letting hang over night just depends on how cool it'll get.

Bring coolers full of ice and pack the ice around any meat to cool. Usually works for me. As warm as it going to get, I wouldnt let them sit uncooled for very long JMO

bkcrrtnps said:
Whats wrong with cold creek water idea

Parasites. Most have some small towns water treatment plant that dumps into them, or some old farm house septic system running into it. No thanks I wouldn't take that chance.

-}}}---------->

When I lived in Alaska it was common practice to cool meat by soaking it under water when the temps outside were too warm and you were on a 10 day hunt in the middle of nowhere - just have to put the meat in heavy duty contractor bags for ONLY when it's in the water, outside of the water and bacteria will start to grow inside the bag. The meat should also be skinned while doing this.

I think in Iowa this may be a hassle, I'd go with some big coolers kept in the shade and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom