Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How to find out what counties still have tags

idsman75

I've been working until about 10pm every night lately and haven't gotten to go buy a tag for the late special season. Is there a website where one can go to find out what counties still have tags?

I have some public land I want to try in Sioux County that I've checked out but I also have an opportunity at some private land in Ida county. Is there any way to find out online where tags are still available?

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be waiting for next year. That's okay. I arranged it so I still have 12 months and 5 days left in Iowa.

Big Timber--Actually, I was born in Iowa. Most of my extended family lives in Sioux County. My parents moved to Minnesota when I was about 3 years old. I moved back to Iowa and established residency before I joined the Army. I've been paying taxes to Iowa and have been voting as an Iowan since 1996.

I've hunted deer in Virginia and Iowa now. I'm still fairly new to the whole whitetail scene. I hunted pheasant and turkey before I hunted whitetail. This was actually my fourth time hunting whitetail this year. I just realized tonight how the late season works. I guess they sell any tags that didn't sell during the regular season.

I suppose I'm somewhat naive about the whole situation but I am definitely hooked! I'm fortunate (some would disagree) that Uncle Sam chose to send me here for a few years during my military career. Just trying to make the best of it.
grin.gif

P.S. It was good seeing you again this year. Drop me a line sometime.

[email protected]

Hopefully you get this in time. If you are still in the military you don't have to have a deer tag. All you need is a leave form and your I.D. and you can hunt for free. If you shoot one you call the DNR and they give you the tag. You don't need to worry about the late season tags left. I used this many times on leave. It's really a great show of appreciation from the state.

As I understand it, you have to be stationed OUTSIDE of the state of Iowa. I am a resident of Iowa AND I'm stationed in Iowa.

UPDATE: Just checked it out. There's a loophole in the regulation. "Military personnel whose permanant address is in Iowa and who are here on official leave do not need any hunting license, transportation tag, habitat fee or hunter education certifcation to hunt deer or turkey."

I have a permanant address in Iowa. I could take leave in order to get five or six days off to hunt. That satisfies the requirements if you ask me.

I'm calling the DNR.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to know. Maybe it's worth a call to the DNR. I'm hitting the road this morning for Camp Dodge.

I think you'll be fine. My brother in law has a permanent Iowa address and when he comes back he qualifies. Just have to be on leave; I don't think it spedifies where you have to be stationed. Maggs

I called the DNR. They confirmed that you have to be stationed OUTSIDE the state of Iowa. Therefore, I could take advantage of this if I was stationed at the Norfolk, NE station which is about 75 miles west of here. Go figure. Anything to draw the out-of-state dollars
grin.gif

I really have nothing to complain about. I could be roasting on desert sands right now. It seems inappropriate for me to complain during times like this. Sorry if anyone interpreted it as disrespect.

ids

Top Bottom