Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How to shoot carp? Okoboji

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, yes- I am an idiot when it comes to this. My girlfriend's fam goes to lake Okoboji in a couple weeks. Last year I saw carp all over in the weeds by shallows, fluke or not- I don't know??? Never done this!!.....

-Time of day to shoot them?
-Old bow and just buy that kit for shooting fish???
-Sneak up with a trolling motor on a boat???
-Legal??
-Aim low or high (I know there was something with the water visually changing where the fish really are)?

Seriously, I am deer hunting freak and love bowhunting deer BUT I have no clue on the basics of shooting carp with a bow. Could anyone give me a small paragraph on the basics of how/when, etc to go shoot these things?!?!?! Thanks much!!!

You can get into a bowfishing rig pretty cheap. An old compound works good. One that you can back off the poundage to 45 or so. An old recurve works good also. Do you self a favor and get an AMS Retriever bowfishing reel and a couple of arrows. Those will set you back about a 100 bucks. You will need a roller rest (7 dollars). Take the sights off, you won't need them.

My guess is you were at Okaboji when they were spawning. A trolling motor works good to get to them or just drifting into them. Most of you shots are only gonna be 20 feet or less. If they are at the surface just aim at the bottom of the fish. A rule of thumb after that is if you think they are a foot below the surface, then aim a foot low. Two foot below the surface, then two foot low, and so on. I miss alot and it's almost always high so aim lower than you think you have to.

Bowfishing is hoot. Especially when you have a pig ripping out your line.

Top Bottom