Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HR 43 and 44

I personally have a 7 year old son that has sensitive hearing and hates gun shots that would love to shoot a deer youth season with a crossbow this would give him that oppurtunity & he would be tickled to death.Also I personally would love to harvest a velvet buck.As far as we already have enough time to shoot a deer is opinionated as I work from 7:30am to 6:00 pm m-f & some saturdays of course there are people out there that have alot of time to hunt but that is not the case for everyone.As far as crossbows go I don't think there as superior to compound bows as some may think.I personally can shoot my compound more accurately than some I have seen with crossbows.Everyone has there own opinion but not everyone falls in the same circumstances.I would love to see my son shoot a deer with a crossbow It would make both mine & his day!!!

I am sorry to hear of your sons issues. It would seem a nice set of shooting muffs would quickly solve that issue. Problem solved. (Not trying to be a smartass in saying that)

We tried shooting muffs but it still did not work it still bothers him .Back to my original statement everyones circumstances & opinions very.

I'm a seasonal worker, I farm, like many folks in Iowa. Actually September through December are really busy. I'd like the state to accommodate for folks like me so I can hunt early July into August when I have a little breathing room to enjoy hunting. Not too much to ask from the guys that feed the world and grow all these deer. July 1 start date would really make my life a lot better and there's many deer on the beans & alfalfa that would be nice to pattern.

I'm a seasonal worker, I farm, like many folks in Iowa. Actually September through December are really busy. I'd like the state to accommodate for folks like me so I can hunt early July into August when I have a little breathing room to enjoy hunting. Not too much to ask from the guys that feed the world and grow all these deer. July 1 start date would really make my life a lot better and there's many deer on the beans & alfalfa that would be nice to pattern.

I think it would be nice if they made the Landowner tags valid 24 hours a day too - might get some good ones killed in the lights of my combine!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

What about professional hunters that get all fall to hunt should they have different regs because they have to much time to hunt,Seriously.A hunter that holds off to the end in order to shoot a big deer is still going to hold off to the end the early season would just give us a chance to harvest a velvet buck & give some of us that don't get to hunt all the time a little more time to enjoy the outdoors & the sport.

Save your vacation time, hunt hard when you can. Appreciate the opportunity you already have. Anyone else need some advice?

What about professional hunters that get all fall to hunt should they have different regs because they have to much time to hunt,Seriously.A hunter that holds off to the end in order to shoot a big deer is still going to hold off to the end the early season would just give us a chance to harvest a velvet buck & give some of us that don't get to hunt all the time a little more time to enjoy the outdoors & the sport.

Honestly, we'll NEVER have an end to ANYONE'S gripes about "enough time to hunt". Even my buddies with all of November & December off still complain and have schedule issues, I hear it all the time.
I mean, seriously, come on..... Sept 15 youth can be out. They have until JANUARY 10th into the following year to tag a deer. If you can't find enough time to make it out during that period, sorry, there will just never be a solution and enough time. That's darn near FOUR STRAIGHT MONTHS to hunt whitetails. Honestly, I think that's probably too long and too stressful on deer being hunted that much of the year but I won't go there. We have a really long season and plenty of opportunity as long as we have the deer to hunt (thank goodness we got rid of the last monkey wrench in our system, late shed buck season). I mean, aside from year round hunting, come on, there has to be some sensible logic that says almost 4 months pursuing deer is a plenty long season. What other big game animals have that?!?!?! Turkeys???? Can you hunt turkeys for 4 months? Iowa's issues will not be helped by expanding the existing very long season and we've seen that before. Think what expanded seasons have done previously. THIS IS PLENTY.....
Almost 4 months, 4 weapon choices with 6 different deer seasons - youth season, archery season, early ML, late ML (which include crossbows), gun 1 and gun 2. Come on guys, draw a line in the sand and stop these political pimps.

Seems like sligh mocks post of people that wouldn't mind an early season. Isn't this a topic that people are allowed opinions of? Mocking the situation and typing up a short story is belittling. Say your 2 cents and move on. Listen to others opinions, which everyone is entitled too have.

Seems like sligh mocks post of people that wouldn't mind an early season. Isn't this a topic that people are allowed opinions of? Mocking the situation and typing up a short story is belittling. Say your 2 cents and move on. Listen to others opinions, which everyone is entitled too have.

Sorry I hurt your feelings. I personally don't think I crossed the line or belittled anyone. Do I use sarcastic humor, of course, come on though, don't be that sensitive. Sometimes the only way to expose INSANITY is to reply with the same INSANITY. That's all I'm doing, responding to ridiculousness with more ridiculousness - nothing personal. Adding a little logic to my humor at the end. Sorry if I offended but folks with passion get fired up when folks threaten our great state and resource. :eek::rolleyes::confused:

On a serious note, if we open archery two weeks or more early so you can get a velvet buck it will seriously twerk-off the shotgun and muzzleloader hunters (and rightfully so)
Archers already get the entire month of November completely to themselves with no gun seasons. Want to change that? Just open up new seasons early for bow and the next thing you know we will have an earlier shotgun season too. We have it better than just about anywhere else in the country for whitetail hunting, why jeopardize that?

We can't implement special seasons for each and every special interest group - if we start that there will be 438 different seasons in Iowa and there will be zero deer in a few years.
Would I like to kill a big Iowa buck in Velvet? Absolutely! Do I think it is in the best interest of the state deer herd to open that season? Absolutely not!
We have to think of the big picture and not be selfish just because "that would be cool."

Last edited:
I personally have a 7 year old son that has sensitive hearing and hates gun shots that would love to shoot a deer youth season with a crossbow this would give him that oppurtunity & he would be tickled to death.Also I personally would love to harvest a velvet buck.As far as we already have enough time to shoot a deer is opinionated as I work from 7:30am to 6:00 pm m-f & some saturdays of course there are people out there that have alot of time to hunt but that is not the case for everyone.As far as crossbows go I don't think there as superior to compound bows as some may think.I personally can shoot my compound more accurately than some I have seen with crossbows.Everyone has there own opinion but not everyone falls in the same circumstances.I would love to see my son shoot a deer with a crossbow It would make both mine & his day!!!

When one of my boys was young, he too was sensitive around gun shots and consequently there were some deer seasons that he sat out, etc...but it never occurred to me that we need another weapon choice or season to accommodate him. We just had him wait until he was a little older and ready to hunt, problem solved.

As far as work schedules...for quite a few years I worked more hours than you did every week, including during the hunting season, and again, it never occurred to me that the state should lengthen the season(s) to match up to my schedule better.

I just cannot get over the fact that virtually every hunter I know has watched the deer herd fall dramatically over the past 3-6 years due in large part to much less restrictive regulations...and yet some continue to advocate for more seasons/weapons/etc.

An early season tag would be a poachers dream. Now they can buy a tag to slap onto that big velvet buck that was with the huge bachelor group of bucks. With current regs a big velvet buck would raise a lot of questions on the legality of kill.

It always comes down to everyones opinion is better than mine but really i don't care because i am still intitled to my own opinion. And I never once was offensive or derogatory towards any one on this site.So for those who want to be derogatory good for you.i'll still have my own opinion.

I'm not implying feelings being hurt, we are adults. Let's have a discussion. The majority of posters feel it's a terrible idea for an early season.However I do not. Yes the proposal was written poorly and needs more details. But as far as reasons as too why not haven't persuaded me otherwise. What percentage of deer are shot by bowhunters? Would it be that easy to kill a mature buck during September? If thats the case the rut should be a cake walk. How would the early season differ from the late season? Animals are grouped and concentrated on food during both times of year.How would it hurt the age structure of our herd? Just lots of issues. I'm not saying I cannot be persudaded, but I guess I don't see as many negatives as the rest.

I'm not implying feelings being hurt, we are adults. Let's have a discussion. The majority of posters feel it's a terrible idea for an early season.However I do not. Yes the proposal was written poorly and needs more details. But as far as reasons as too why not haven't persuaded me otherwise. What percentage of deer are shot by bowhunters? Would it be that easy to kill a mature buck during September? If thats the case the rut should be a cake walk. How would the early season differ from the late season? Animals are grouped and concentrated on food during both times of year.How would it hurt the age structure of our herd? Just lots of issues. I'm not saying I cannot be persudaded, but I guess I don't see as many negatives as the rest.
1) Is almost 4 months of buck pursuit with 6 seasons and 4 weapon choices not enough?!?!?
2) Bucks are extremely vulnerable before the velvet comes off, are a strictly feeding pattern and hormonal changes have not kicked in. It's an extremely effective way to kill. States like Wyoming, with extremely few people and brutal late season conditions and vast amounts of cover can do this because they are forced to, to some extent and they have timber, mountains, forests, prairies for endless miles upon miles containing deer. States like this show it's one of the best ways to kill vulnerable bucks. Iowa has 5-7% timber and a limited resource & habitat with a growing # of hunters pursuing these bucks.
3) Is the pressure in your area for bucks not "substantial" as it is?!??! As in, you feel the deer don't really have a lot of pressure on them now? Geesh, wish the many areas I hunted were like that.
4) Why would anyone with the mindset supporting an early season, say for "opportunity reasons" (since 4 months isn't enough) object to farmers being able to hunt July 1 to August 15 for bucks only? It's just as logical and probably far more deserved and warranted since those farmers own most the land that the resource/deer occupy, they feed the deer, they drive Iowa's economy, they have a critical job of feeding the world and it's a fact that September through December is an insane time for farmers, overwhelming busy time. If you think you're busy, come sit in the combine while you're running at 3 am on Nov 8th or you're livelihood depends on 1,500 acres getting out of the field, moved, stored or sold at proper times. Field prep after harvest. Just as logical for a July 1 to August 15 buck season, I say there's more reason for that and a better case can be made for that. Disagree?

*5) to SUMMARIZE the different perspectives here.... The folks that want to keep the regulations the same, quit adding seasons, quit changing our delicate system - they have listed the threats and harm that has and will come from all this crap that hits every year. I would ask the other side (crossbows during archery, early season, late rifle season, whatever) - what HARM would come from leaving the seasons alone as they are now? Are we essentially saying your argument and position of HARM is: Many hunters don't have enough opportunities? Not enough time? Not enough weapon choices? Is this what the HARM of LEAVING THE SEASONS ALONE, AS IS (4 months, 6 seasons) result in, not enough opportunity? Do I understand this right?

Last edited:
I personally believe it would be easier to kill a big buck in late August / early September versus any other time frame out there. Bucks are like clockwork then. I have spent so many summers scouting fields you could pretty much get it down to a 10 minute window the bucks would enter the field and exactly where they would enter the field at.

I would love to kill a giant and believe that would be the best time frame to do it but I really dont agree with the season. I guess I feel we have enough time to get it done as it is. I guess I do not see the purpose for the season is all.

I personally believe it would be easier to kill a big buck in late August / early September versus any other time frame out there. Bucks are like clockwork then. I have spent so many summers scouting fields you could pretty much get it down to a 10 minute window the bucks would enter the field and exactly where they would enter the field at. I would love to kill a giant and believe that would be the best time frame to do it but I really dont agree with the season. I guess I feel we have enough time to get it done as it is. I guess I do not see the purpose for the season is all.
I agree Mike can you imagine stalking down the bean rows with a periscope ? Talk about smashing a resource.

On the issue of early versus late season. I can tell you if I would have been able to hunt early season I'd have a few velvet monsters on the wall. I would love to shoot a buck in velvet but I look at the reality that I will need to go to another state for that dream. Just as many people travel to Iowa in search on a deer over 150".

Early season bucks are strictly on a food pattern no hormonal changes yet for them to move around. they are bachelored up and moving in daylight. Every year around Sept 20th all the bucks disappear and become nocturnal. The early season would add a complete new level of vulnerability to the deer. You say the rut is a cake walk? Wrong. You never know where that doe is going to take that buck or how he is going to follow her. But in the early season I can tell you where that buck is going to come out every night and can guess the time within 10 minutes.

Now late season the deer have been chased for 3 months now. Most the mature bucks I hunt are long gone on different properties at this time. Most are nocturnal or coming out right at closing time. Their patterns switch with the temps. I bet that the first week in January every one was seeing piles of deer out in open fields, I know I was, Jan 10th it warmed up 10-15 degrees and I didn't see a thing after seeing the same 180" buck 3 nights in a row before. Then add the fact some bucks have shed and get automatic free passes. Completely different season from an early season.

I hunt and put more hours in than most guys on here and I never feel like I have enough time. Hunting is a like drug, every one of us is addicted we all go out for that adrenaline rush of the deer coming buy the blind/stand. We will never have "enough" time even if it was a 8 month season. You don't hunt enough, try a different species. Chase some coyotes after the deer seasons, then go after turkey, then do some bowfishing, maybe chase some early season honkers, and look at that you're already back to deer season.

Top Bottom