Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HTs November 3 Archery (Story added Nov6)

K

Kaylray

Shot November 3 around 5:00 PM

HT

1609HT05_1-med.JPG

1609HT05_3.JPG

1609HT05_2.JPG

Someone asked for the story. Here ya go.

My partners convinced me to take off early and go hunting. The weather was starting to cool down and the wind seemed like it was going to be right for the stand I had in mind, so out the door I went.

By the time I showered and changed into my Scent-lok it was 3:45 before I got into my tree-stand. I pulled my gear up and got settled in and ready to go. I was expecting some wind out of the South East but it seemed to be non existent. I reached into my backpack and pulled out some seeds from a milk weed pod that I carry with me and let em go. They almost stood still in mid air and gradually floated away to the North West. Absolutely perfect wind for the stand I chose. Life was good and conditions appeared to be perfect for a nice quiet afternoon hunt. It did not take long to see some activity. At 4:05 a couple does appeared from the thicket to my left. One seemed to be very interested in the scrape that an unseen buck had been visiting. She sniffed both the ground and the licking branch for quit a while before crossing the fence after her partner to feed. I watched them feed 80 yards out in front of me 10 or 15 minutes. The lack of wind made it so quite that I could here them picking through the disked field looking for left-overs from the combine. I always like opportunities to see how deer react to calls. This seemed perfect so I rolled over the doe bleat can I had in my pocket. Both deer raised their heads from eating and looked in my direction only for a moment and quickly went back to browsing. Next I grabbed the grunt tube and gave it a try. Again, they looked my direction and went back to eating but something in the treeline behind them 150 yards away started thrashing the trees. It lasted for 10 or 15 seconds and quit. I blew the grunt again and again something started thrashing around in the trees. I was hoping that I had made some one mad and maybe he would work his way down wind and I could get a peek at him.

I waited and watched for 30 or so minutes but no buck appeared. Eventually one of the does crossed the fence and came back towards me. Not really sure why but I blew the grunt again when she stopped at 40 yards. She did not react much but something went completely bonkers in the willow thicket about 40 yards to my right. I was sure a freight train with horns was going to be coming out and grabbed my bow and was up on my feet waiting. But as quickly as it started it stopped and was dead quiet. The doe did not seem to be concerned and eventually walked right between me and the willow thicket were all the commotion came from. Her lack of interest made me believe the noise must not have been a buck, maybe another doe? I watched her walk by and go behind me. I kept an eye on here to see if she would wind me. My scent must have been staying high or I don’t stink. I prefer to believe the latter….. Anyway, she did not seem to smell any sign of me but she did become quit intent with something on the back side of the willow thicket. I was sure she was watching another deer and soon confirmed it when a big doe stepped into sight and onto the cut prairie grass pasture behind me. She too was going down wind of me but much farther out. I figured she would wind me for sure and was surprised to see that she also appeared to be completely unable to detect me.

I was watching them feed behind my stand when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. There he was! I new as soon as I seen him he was a good sized buck and well outside his ears. He was standing 80 yards in the wide open and did not appear to have a care in the world.

They fed up to a taller patch where the land owner had left around 5 acres uncut for the pheasants. The does fed the edge never entering the taller stuff. The buck apparently liked the security of the taller stuff and quickly worked his way in, while always keeping an eye on the doe. He too crossed my wind and showed no sign of concern. As I am standing in my stand watching him 80 yards behind me, it dawned on me; I could try to get his attention? I rolled the can over; he looked my way but did not move closer. I grabbed the grunt call and gave him a nice soft grunt. That got his attention and he started my direction like he was on a string. Now is when I realize that I do not have shooting lanes cleared in this direction and looking to see where he might go and where I can poke an arrow through the tree limbs. If he came around on my left I would have to wait for him to come all the way around in front of my stand. If he went right I had one little spot about the size of a volleyball where I could sneak a shot thru. Mean while, back at the ranch I completely forgot about the does who had been feeding closer to me.

The buck got within 50 yards and stopped. He was still looking my direction so if figured I better let him know I was still there. I grab my tube, which by the way is a precisely tuned instrument which in the hands of an experienced hunter can produce the perfect guttural tone of a mature whitetail buck challenging any on comers. I think you can get them at WallyMart for 5 bucks? However, a precisely tuned instrument like this in the hands of a novice is a different story. This thing will break over and make this god awful noise. Kinda like your cat makes when you step on it in the hall at night on the way to the can! Any way, I have been doing this for 24 years I don’t get all shook and nervous at the site of a deer coming in. I am too busy calculating every step that the animal could possibly take and my precise and predetermined reaction. A little blow on the tube should get him going again……. Brrreeeeeeaaaaaaaeeeeee!!!!!! DOH! DIRTY ROTTEN! PIECE OF!!!! At that point I think both the buck and I had the same look on our face…… What the *#$% was that???? I am just waiting for him turn tail and run but he just stood there! Now I am trying my best to regain my composer. I have no choice but to try again. Deeeeeeeeep breath, let it out, relax, relaaaaaaax…….brrrrrrrrrrrrp….. Believe it or not he drops his head a little and here he comes. I only had about a millisecond to pat myself on the back before I went into what I like to call the Holy $#it here he comes phase. Is he going left? Is he going right? Is he going to wind whatever it is running down my leg? I am trying to look back and forth around each side of the tree to see what he is going to do. Remember the does!!!!!!!!! They had obviously been observing my tree stand antics every since I did my impression of a cat trying to pass a kidney stone grunt. I believe they had seen enough of the show and instantly bolted from where they stood unknown to me 5 yards away. As they scurry, flags a waving, passed me to the right. I look up at the buck expecting him to cut across the field and catch up with them. Nope!….. He runs straight at me to the trail the does were on 5 yards away? This is when I realize he will very quickly be in the only possible area I can pull off a shot if I can get him to stop in front of this little opening I have through the tree branches. I quickly turned and found the little opening and drew back. Mind you this deer is on a bounding run to catch up with that doe. I am thinking there is no way I will get him to stop in this little opening! As I see him coming out of the corner of my eye…….AAAAAAAAAAA. It was like an anchor fell out of his butt! There he was, perfect! I am not sure I even had to move the pin! I am thinking, way to go! You are the ma…. Holy crap how far is he! looks like 20???? He isn’t going to stand there all day!!!! Fling….. The arrow hit him right behind the shoulder but looked awful high to me for some reason. I watched him take off and follow the does as they cut across the tall grass and then out into the cut prairie grass. I was beginning to think my perception of the shot being too high was correct as I watched him run well beyond 100 yards. But around 150 the back legs started to go and within another 20 yards or so he started to top over. He went down in plane sight not 40 yards from where I had my truck parked behind some bales.

Now starts what I like to call “Reflective Stage”, where I sit quietly in my tree stand and reflect on the age old struggle that just took place between man and beast. This is where I go into a ancient tribal like trance where I sit rocking to and fro holding myself while mumbling some gibberish that is obviously channeled to me by the spirits of ancient hunters long passed. I usually do this until my body has stopped the convulsive shaking so I don’t pitch myself out of the tree on my head.

The shot actually turned out to be near perfect. I have not scored him but he is 20” inside spread and has 18 points which could be scored.

HT

Re: HTs November 3 Archery

What a beautiful buck, excellent trophy, Congratulations HT
waytogo.gif

Great Photos!

Top Bottom