Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunt report / Rut report

The last three days me and my boy have seen more mature bucks on their feet than we've seen in the last five years combined. I watched 2 big bucks chase 7 does round and round the food plot this morning for a solid 1/2 hour. Mornings have actually been some of the most intense rutting action I've seen in years. A few close encounters but no connection yet.

So to everyone that still has a tag, get out there and make it a Red Friday!

I still haven't seen a mature buck from the stand. Small bucks still chasing.

I'm hoping for a black and gold Friday!

Had an encounter with the buck of a lifetime yesterday on public land. I totally choked. He came out of the bedding area via the saddle I was hunting, following three does, til he stopped broadside next to a log I'd yardage checked ten times previously at 30 yards. Not a huge shooting window but he was dead center. After two consecutive misses earlier in my hunt, turns out my confidence was ruined. Never had this happen. I just failed to draw on him, wanting a closer shot. He was booner caliber and the best buck I'd seen during my 3 week hunt. Really depressed today. Makes me wonder why the hell I'm out there if I'm gonna pass that situation. I need an attitude change, just passed more P&Y bucks on this hunt than all others combined. Got 6 days left who knows maybe something will still happen. Certainly learned a lesson. I need to be more aggressive. :(

Still I ended up seeing three bucks cruising solo on my evening hunt a 130", 120" & fork horn. In all I've seen the biggest bucks of my trip from Nov. 12-19 and lots of action. Slowed down 20/21/22 but still saw one 150" cruise out of the bedding area at 3:40 pm. Took today off to work and adjust attitude. Good timing since it's T shirt weather. Colder tomorrow NW winds.

Last edited:
Take a few practice shots to get that confidence back up and get back out there! Best of luck! There' still time left for sure!

The problem came when I made complete misses at two wide open bucks. 30 & 40 yards stopped no wind comfortable on my left side. Good position. Had no explanation. I went twice for long practice sessions wearing all my cold weather gear. Insulated coveralls, neck warmer, sock hat, gloves. Put all my 30 yard shots in a tea cup. I should have been confident. I thought I was prepared.

Anyway, today was the first day of my hunt I failed to see one deer both morning & evening. Very slow. Try again tomorrow. Will take Monday off to work 30 mph wind forecast.

Also saw zero deer this am. Had to wait for hoof steps to filter through the timber before I could get to my stand and that was all the excitement. I think they thought gun season opened today

The problem came when I made complete misses at two wide open bucks. 30 & 40 yards stopped no wind comfortable on my left side. Good position. Had no explanation. I went twice for long practice sessions wearing all my cold weather gear. Insulated coveralls, neck warmer, sock hat, gloves. Put all my 30 yard shots in a tea cup. I should have been confident. I thought I was prepared.

Anyway, today was the first day of my hunt I failed to see one deer both morning & evening. Very slow. Try again tomorrow. Will take Monday off to work 30 mph wind forecast.
30 and 40 with no wind could have had them ducking your string if they are alert. If you're shooting is good keep keep after them

I hunted this evening and could have cracked a forkie...but he lives on. :) My son invited a friend to hunt with us this weekend and he is a fairly new hunter. He had a really enjoyable day...that is until he missed a 150" 10 point tonight. He is taking it pretty well, but bumming pretty hard too. He also missed a doe, string ducker, but still thought this was his best day deer hunting ever.

No real chasing...some moseying though by the bucks. They also had three separate bucks in their zone this morning, two dinkers and one nice one that kind of snuck up on them and no shot was taken...although perhaps one should have been. :)

I set about 15 traps yesterday with the idea that I was going to clean up on fur today...well that plan failed too. :) Only got one possum. Perhaps it was too warm.

The woods have gone dead the last three days. I’m taking Monday off, and was going to hunt the last three days 11/28, 29, 30 but curious if it’s even worth it.

The woods have gone dead the last three days. I’m taking Monday off, and was going to hunt the last three days 11/28, 29, 30 but curious if it’s even worth it.
As long as the season is open and you have days to hunt... definitely worth it. Not sure if you are hunting Iowa but if you are the season closes Friday then you can take a much needed break.

Saw some of the best action of the season last night. 4 bucks all over 1 doe. Chasing her all over. The little ones and doe came in range but the big boys were still on their way when the doe headed back their way. If I had a tag and the time id be hunting

Ya I got a NR Iowa tag. Will stick with plan but try a different Public parcel. I have one saved nobody has been hunting. Rough to get in there. Good private crops surrounding. But a great connecting timber funnel back there.

Last edited:
I had the best rut action I've seen since November 6th yesterday morning. 8 bucks following the same doe. Two mature bucks leading the pack and 6 bucks of various smaller sizes trailing closely behind. The two mature bucks even stopped and locked horns for a minute at 75 yards. The doe ended up going up the ridge the opposite direction so no shot but it was nice to finally see a mature buck from the stand. Had high hopes for yesterday afternoon but it was a bust. One forkhorn at last light.

How'd it go today Zim? Here's my day....

Thought I'd sneak in a 2 hour sit before going to work today.
7:45 2 does jumped in from my right with a good buck in tow...135-140ish
Bad angle for that stand and my flexibility, or lack thereof. :)
Wind was variable and drifting badly at the moment and about 5 more steps before they crossed my scent.
I tried to rotate my body for a sitting shot but got blown up anyway on the movement.
Got down, walked home, changed clothes and the truck wouldn't start.
4 hours of Macgyver diagnosis...bad fuel pump.
New pump is coming from Davenport tomorrow around noon....bummer.
Looks like I'll be in the tree again at 6:00 AM. Hate it when that happens. :rolleyes:

How'd it go today Zim? Here's my day....

Thought I'd sneak in a 2 hour sit before going to work today.
7:45 2 does jumped in from my right with a good buck in tow...135-140ish
Bad angle for that stand and my flexibility, or lack thereof. :)
Wind was variable and drifting badly at the moment and about 5 more steps before they crossed my scent.
I tried to rotate my body for a sitting shot but got blown up anyway on the movement.
Got down, walked home, changed clothes and the truck wouldn't start.
4 hours of Macgyver diagnosis...bad fuel pump.
New pump is coming from Davenport tomorrow around noon....bummer.
Looks like I'll be in the tree again at 6:00 AM. Hate it when that happens. :rolleyes:

I ended up pulling my left hamstring for the 4th time in 2 weeks on the 28th. Had no choice but to slowly pack up and head home. It’s really sore. My spots are remote in steep terrain and I just could not see myself getting back there and enjoying a hunt.

Heading to China to visit my wife until Christmas. Soooooo.........I want to ask if it’s worth my while returning to Iowa Jan 1-10 to hunt evening foodcrops. I’m hunting public and I know Lake Rathbun gets raped by party gun hunters. But I hunt the more remote steep timber in Stephens Forest units and curious if it’s possible to have a decent hunt in such an area.

I ended up pulling my left hamstring for the 4th time in 2 weeks on the 28th.

Oh that's no good. Sorry to hear that...but really, you're not supposed to be the one chasing hot does.;)

I think the public could be just fine, highly dependent on weather. If it gets nasty, then yeah, afternoon sheltered food source should get them on their feet.

Reactions: arm
Got off work early to put in one last sit. Blind grunted about 4 and heard footsteps coming behind me. Peaked around the tree and #1 was staring at me at 15 yards. He turned around and started walking away then turned again to skirt me. Had one opening and already ranged it 20 times throughout the season at 35 yards and when he got to it I was at full draw stopped him gapped my pins behind the shoulder and watched my arrow fly right over his back. All that time spent waiting for that opportunity and I blew it. He never even knew what happened. Ran about ten yards stood in the thick stuff for 10 min then walked out of my life lol.

Got off work early to put in one last sit. Blind grunted about 4 and heard footsteps coming behind me. Peaked around the tree and #1 was staring at me at 15 yards. He turned around and started walking away then turned again to skirt me. Had one opening and already ranged it 20 times throughout the season at 35 yards and when he got to it I was at full draw stopped him gapped my pins behind the shoulder and watched my arrow fly right over his back. All that time spent waiting for that opportunity and I blew it. He never even knew what happened. Ran about ten yards stood in the thick stuff for 10 min then walked out of my life lol.
Been there, done that, felt the pain.

Top Bottom