Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hunter harassment by TRESPASSERS

glasgowm

Well, I just had my afternoon hunt cut short. I had planned on 2 rattling sets before climbing into a tree for the last 3 hours of the day. I set up on a piece I've been waiting all season to hunt, since I need an East wind to hunt it correctly. Conditions were perfect. I had the decoy set up and started grunting and rattling. After 5 minutes I took a break and could here and see a truck driving through the field (probably 80 MPH) back behind me on a neighboring property. I heard a buck rubbing a tree just down the edge from me, then I heard a couple of really deep grunts. He sounded like he was at the field edge, so could probably see the decoy. I set the horns down and grunted again. now I caught a glimpse of him through the brush. It was the "dumpster buck" whom I've been after for 4 years and missed the first week of this season when my limb hit a corn stalk. He was at 50 yards with his ears back and walking stiff legged toward the decoy. I had a shooting lane at 20 yards and was stoked.

All of a sudden I heard the truck flying across the field behind me and the buck took off back into the woods. The truck came flying in and slammed on the brakes, sliding to a stop right next to the decoy. Someone yelled, "it's not real." I jumped up and stepped into the open, hollering at them from 35 yards away. All 4 of these young guys get out of the truck like they are "tough guys." I started asking them who they are and what they are doing there when they don't belong and they get smart with me. I ask for the drivers ID and he says, "let's go guys." I walked behind their truck before they could leave, and got the plate number. Now they stop and get out again and I'm thinking, "crap, now this could be interesting." Darn KS game laws that won't let me carry concealed while archery hunting. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif (Don't get me started on that one)

I pulled my phone out and dialed 911. Once I gave dispatch the plate #, they took off. Now I spent the next 2 hours dealing with this and trying to chill. I'm still fired up. The deputies were able to find them and have cited them for the trespassing. They also forwarded the report to the Dept. of Parks and Wildlife, since I told them I'd like to press charges for hunter harassment.

Sorry for the rant but I knew you all would understand.

Matthew

Man I thought this post was about me when it read "hunter harassment by T", then I opened it up.I had hot and cold flashes at the same time /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Thats to bad that it happend..It seems like a lot of kids have no respect for anything or anyone..I think a good old fashion butt kicking for some of the punks might wake them up.just my 2 cents. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Thanks guys. I had my scanner on when the deputy ran their ID's, so I know who all of them are. I think the law is going to come down on them all pretty hard, at least on the hunter harassment end of it. Fortunately the deputy who responded is a deer hunter and he understood the seriousness of the situation and is being very helpful. I think it will work out in the end. It still doesn't get me a shot at the big buck, but hopefully I'll get another chance at that.

Matthew

Sounds to me like you handled this one pretty well. They'll likely get thumped, but sometimes that's the only thing that will wake them up. Probably going to take more than just this incident, but it's a good start. Hope you get rewarded with that big buck for all your frustrations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Punks. </div></div>
nuff said

"It still doesn't get me a shot at the big buck, but hopefully I'll get another chance at that."

That buck is probably thinking the same thing, "Hope i get another chance at that subordinate punk buck"

Get that deke back out there for him.. heh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glasgowm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also forwarded the report to the Dept. of Parks and Wildlife, since I told them I'd like to press charges for hunter harassment.
</div></div>

Nice. Stick them little pricks for everything possible.

Don't let them drop charges or plea it down. Make 'em pay and it might help it from happening to someone else.
Sorry you don't get your buck, hopefully you'll get another chance.

i agree, you handled it right, but make an example of them!!!!!

Punks deserve to have the book thrown at em!

Top Bottom