Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunter orange required for cameraman during firearm seasons?

Highmark

PMA Member
Never hunted with a video partner so I was wondering do cameraman filming a hunt need to wear hunters orange? I would assume they do. Surprised when watching the amazing video on Trophypursuit of the huge non-typical that the cameraman didn't have blaze on. Possibly just some "extra" scenes they often shoot to fill time but he didn't have it on during the recovery either. Absolutely did not aid in the taking of the animal but I hope they don't get into hot water over it.

I would assume you would have to. I remember reading something in the regs about anyone participating in the hunt had to follow all of the regulations. I would call videoing a hunt participating in it. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus or call anyone out. Just my interpretation of the regs.

Last edited:
To me the more direct violation in the video is that the blind did not appear to have the required orange on the outside. I hope this does not overshadow what was accomplished here, but after hearing some of the stories about the IDNR it would not surprise me.

I think they had the tag on upside down. Technically, the regs show the tag on the other antler too. The video was just full of egregious violations and these guys will most likely get their guns, blinds, cameras and trucks confiscated.

Give me a break.

To me the more direct violation in the video is that the blind did not appear to have the required orange on the outside. I hope this does not overshadow what was accomplished here, but after hearing some of the stories about the IDNR it would not surprise me.

Absolutely. Not trying to diminish a great hunt in any way. My wife often has wanted to film late muzzy hunts and I was curious about her wearing orange in the blind as well.

Hey guys, thanks for the concern. We double and triple check everything beforehand.

To answer your questions: The videographer is not required to wear blaze orange. The blind does not need orange on it during early muzzleloader season.

To be honest with you, we had discussed this less than a month ago with law enforcement while filming at the AGL youth hunt in Centerville. Thanks guys!

Hey guys, thanks for the concern. We double and triple check everything beforehand.

To answer your questions: The videographer is not required to wear blaze orange. The blind does not need orange on it during early muzzleloader season.

To be honest with you, we had discussed this less than a month ago with law enforcement while filming at the AGL youth hunt in Centerville. Thanks guys!

Very smart. Congrats!

I don't know....still sounds sketchy! :D

Great job on how you and Derek have handled this whole thing...but then I expect nothing less from family!

Love me some internet police in the morning.......

Don't mean to start anything......

Great deer and vid! Love the site Chris!

How much has activity gone up on your website since yesterday with the video being released? It is saying server busy when going to your website- not sure if it is on my end or the overwhelming traffic on yours? Congrats either way- great buck and amazing publicity for TP!

And everyone wonders why not everyone posts trail cam or kill pics on here like they used too. I wish some if the posters on this thread would go away!!!!!

Smart on your part and good to know as a friend of mine and myself are looking into filming each others hunts. Cool video and thanks for sharing.:)

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom