Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunters 1st bird

Handcannon

Hunter got his 1st bird on his 1st turkey hunt today. We arrived in plenty of time to widdle our way into the woods & set up the ground blind by a big cedar overlooking a low cut grass field. This field has always been good for turkey, see them every year struttin around, but not this morning. We could hear a gobbler a hill or 2 over behind us all morning. So about 7am I decided we needed to get mobile, we were done w/ the blind. We walked all the way to the south end & encountered some decoys. I thought we better get away from there & went back to find that gobbler. I gobbled & he gobbled, he was nearby. We sat on a hillside, I could see the other hillside off to my left & about 1/2 way down the hill in front of us, Hunter could see the hillside to his right. I started calling a few times. About 20 minutes later I heard him coming from my left down the hill. I told Hunter to get ready, he couldn't see the bird. I lost sight of him when he was coming up our hillside in front of us. I called again & he come into sight & put on a show for us, all puffed up & strutting. I had clear sight of him but Hunter had a big tree branch in the way. I was getting nervous about being spotted & kept telling Hunter to shoot. But he waited until he had a good clear shot. At 7:45am & 20 yards, his 20 gauge went off & the turkey rolled down the hill. Hunter looked at me & I said" go get your bird, watch the legs!" :) I don't think I've ever seen a smile that big on his face before. He was so excited, he sent pics to his buddies before we even got back to our guns & gear :) It weighed 23 pounds, 10" beard, 7/8" spurs. Hunter carried it by himself 1/2 mile back to the truck. He wants a turkey vest for next year :)

3869-100_6134.1.jpg

Thanks guys :) He's a little sore from carrying the bird over his shoulder but he's on top of the world & hooked on hunting :way:

Top Bottom