Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Huntin' barefoot

CamoMan

I had an interesting experience tonight. I drove 20 minutes west of where I live to hunt a small timber for a couple of hours. I got my gear on, and that's when I realized that I hadn't brought any boots (or shoes) - just 2 pairs of socks . So, I had a choice of heading home for the night, or going on. I didn't have to cross any fields, and much of the approach was grass, so I decided to hunt in my socks. The only real problem was the locust trees in the area - those long thorns are REALLY hard on the feet. Plus, going up the steps was an adventure, and it was cold enough tonight that the metal stand started to numb my feet. I had white socks over gray ones, and decided to reverse that. Figured the 'big one' would walk up while I was swapping socks. I did see one nice buck, and decided that if I could get him, I would call him 'Shoeless Joe'. It was never an option . . .he went the other way. I got down a few minutes early so I could avoid stepping on thorns in the dark, but the return trip was even more painful than when I walked in. My non-hunting friends can never wait to hear my next story . . . I seem to attract this kinda stuff. You guys got any stories about some of your 'dumb' hunts that probably seem pretty funny to others ? I gotta go now . . . my feet hurt.

Your an insperation to us all.I really hate that kind of stuff.Try forgetting your bow like I did last week!!!That's one I will not soon forget since my hunt'in partner was with me,it's just a little tuff to bowhunt without your bow.We had to drive back toward home and had my son meet us halfway,we ended up loosing about anhour of hunting over it, talk about feeling like a knucklehead!
wstupid.gif

Two weeks ago I walked out with my climber to a spot behind my house. Got to the tree I wanted, attached the climber, tried to attach my bow cord to my bow and realized I'd left it at home. The bow that is, not the cord. Enough said!!
CRITRGITR

This year while duck hunting we had a flock of teal come in on us. I pulled up, pulled the trigger....nothing. The flock went off, and I think we got just one. I looked down at my gun in confusion and I saw that my slide release was up. I had not chambered a new round after shooting before....or at least that is what I thought. Another flock came in and I pulled up and pulled the trigger again....NOTHING. I soon realized that I had an EMPTY ROUND in the chamber....and I had let several birds get away. I should have just just chucked out the round and found it was an empty....duh.....sometimes I amaze myself.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Saw my city cousin get so exited shooting at jack rabbits one time that he just stood there and pumped every one of the shells out of his shotgun without firing a shot!!!!
DONW

I walked amile on the opening day of muzzleoader this fall, way back into the thick forest. When I got to my blind I was pumped......oops my @#@$#@$@#@# primers are on the kitchen table!! By the way, I always hunt in my socks, 3 big woolies pulled over some waterpfroof boot liners, comfy, warm and the only thing quiet enough to sneak around in when the snow gets crunchy!

Thanks CamoMan, This is great!
I appreciate all the other threads, but I truly enjoy those that reveal adventure.

I have also shared similar events.

Got to my hunting area with my backquiver full of arrows still at home.

Forget armguard and shot at a coyote that jumped the arrow by 5 feet after the string went FWAP! on my sleeve.

Forgot safety belt so I hooked the strap to my pants belt. (made me feel better)

Was bored on a queit night so I picked a piece of bark off the tree only to have an unseen buck standing in the brush
beside me whip his head around so fast I could almost hear the whoosh of air through his antlers.

Bow slipped off the edge of the stand while I was leaning on it. I grabbed to save it but only got ahold of the arrow shaft. The bow went to the bottom of the tree.

May you all be Blessed with a safe and rewarding season.
smile.gif

Top Bottom