Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

huntin with cows

bottombuck

What's your thoughts on hunting with cows? I'm on my second year hunting some ground, I know there are some whoppers on it, I've seen them. I've got trail cams up and see a lot of good sign. only problem is as soon as the corn is out the land owner puts the cows in. What do i do? keep hunting it even with the cows around or bail out as soon as the cows are in? to give you an idea the property is roughly 150 acres with probably 50 of it in timber and he puts in prob around 50 head of cattle.

I hate hunting with cows, it ruins my confidence. We are in the same boat on one farm we have about 180 acres total with 80-90 timber. Every fall as soon as the crops are out the cows go in. From what I have seen the deer will still move through it but the mature buck sightings drop a lot after the cows are put in. They also don't seem to be bed on the farm as much once the cows are in. It actually seems like the first week the cows are in we don't see squat. I think it spooks them for a week or two because they aren't used to them. What you really need to find out is if there is a spot the cows don't go often in that timber. That is where we seem to have the best luck.

I have hunted other timbers where the cows are in year round and it seems like the deer are much more used to them. Goodluck.

It depends who you ask... some say no big deal, some like me say it is no good. Biggest problem I have is that they always follow me to the tree stand. Seems to me you are okay if you can get in without the cows detecting you. If you think it is good, I would give it a go...good luck to ya.

On one farm i used to hunt, the farmer would tell me once he put the cows in a certain pasture, all the deer would dissapear. And it did seem that way to me. Others seem to think they don't bother each other.

I had one hunt when i was sitting in a groundblind for an hour or so. Next thing i know i can see this cow come walking up to me sniffing the whole way and pinpointed me almost walking into my blind. After that little experience, i took scent control a little more seriously.

I'm with Jakewym on this one..If them cows spot you going to your stand you'll have everyone of them right under you. If the spot is worth staying at, take a sling shot and a few rocks with you incase the cows do spot you..Good Luck

It seems like they will move through the area but wont bed in there very much. But in most cases thats good cause your not jumpin deer off their bed when walking into your stand.

Dont get me wrong i hate hunting with cows but i've got used to it on my dads farm. Cows come before deer to him lol.

the best rut spot i have is on cow pasture. i hunt behind it ,so i don`t draw in the cows. big buck`s run the fence line looking for doe`s . i think the doe`s go there during the rut to try and throw off the bucks. i don`t know for sure ,but the buck`s and doe`s are there during the rut.

I've never hunted and area with cows but I have with horses. It was probably about 30 acres pasture and 30 slightly wooded with a alot of brush. It was obvious deer came through but that was about it. And once the horses found me they wouldn't leave me alone.

i agree with jakewym and two n ia, get in without the cows and take the slingshot. the buck in my pic was shot 10yds from a dozen cows. he was leary but still came in

Slingshot and Rocks... I Love It.
agree.gif

The biggest problem I have hunting around cattle is that they will sometimes follow ya to your stand and sit under there and cause all kinds of ruckus. If you can get in there without the cattle bothering ya then it's usually ok. However the areas I hunt with cattle are more travel corridors than bedding areas. I would think if you're hunting around a bedding area than the cattle would run a lot of deer out of there and might not be worth while. However, if there's a good travel corridor between an undisturbed bedding area I'd be all for it.

youll definitley wish you had a slingshot and rocks when a cow decides to rub her ribs on your ladder stand while your sittin in it. that happened to me and it isnt a good feeling.

I don't think cows and deer go well together...Everyone I talk to that says they do go well together, hunts right next to farms that are rowcrop/timber or crp where there are not cows.

I see far fewer deer on cattle property, but they can and do stay/move through those areas and some cattle pastures that contain lots of clover seem to be a pretty good draw for deer at certains. Overall though Cattle+Deer equals a bad combo.

Top Bottom