Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting a new area

dwkeesee

Hey guys I am hunting a new chunk of ground this year. My family has farmed it for sometime now, but I always decided to hunt else where. Ends up there is a big buck in the area my buddy found a shed off of. I seem to be pretty indecisive when it comes to choosing stand locations and I thought it would be smart to get some of you opinions on possible stand locations. It is always interesting to hear different opinions especially from experienced bowhunters. The crop this year is corn, hopefully I can get a crack at this giant. Thanks

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-24%20at%2010.36.19%20AM_zpsxjmlyyzp.png
[/URL][/IMG]

so is North "up"? my help decide wind directions/stand locations. Looks like a real good pinch point or two I would start with, depending on the winds.

Based on that pic, I would venture to say that this buck doesn't spend the majority of his time here. Just not much cover. However, you can catch him moving through. I have permission to hunt a similar property that a lot of deer move through, but don't really sick around due to the lack of cover compared to neighboring properties. The best time for me is when the bucks are checking scrapes during the day. Right when the little guys start chasing. If it is similar on your ground, then I would try to find a big scrape that many deer appear to use and try to see how they approach it for a stand site. Otherwise the "shortcut" from east to west where the field bottlenecks jumps out at me. Maybe two stands. One on either side of it for different wind directions. It would help to know more about the surrounding area as far as cover, food, water, etc.

Top Bottom