Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting acorns, never tried, tips opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyleralan

PMA Member
So, as you will see in the aerial shot below, I have a tract of timber that I have never hunted much early in the season when acorns are "dropping". I have usually concentrated on plots when I got them in or trails leading to Ag. fields. This year, we don't have any corn surrounding us unless you cross the road to a neighboring property. Also, I attempted a couple plots, but with the drought they didn't turn into anything, but a large field of fox tails! I am now thinking about giving this timbered ridge a whirl. The aerial shot is set up with top being north, bottom is south, etc. So, the timber is on a ridge. On the right, or west, is a failed food plot in a CRP field then the timber runs downhill/ridge to the east. Oaks are spread throughout the timber with quite a few at the very top of the ridge top.

Part of me is worried about even entering this section knowing it is used as bedding and I usually try to stay out of both section of timber. I do have a stand on the very southwest corner, but usually don't sit it until the rut. This southern section of timber is more mature than the northern section, so this is more "hardwoods" and a little more open. The north section is basically a thick mess, which is great bedding.

Any tips with hunting acorns please let me know.
picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom