Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting area near solon iowa

steffn4108

My names is james and I am looking for somewhere to bowhunt near Solon, iowa with my wife. Have tried door knocking and have not had much success a lot of land appears to be leased. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated, we love hunting but recently graduated form Iowa and can't afford to lease land right now.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

James
319-795-6711

That area is probably one of the hardest areas to gain access. I have gained/lost permission on 4 places over the last decade. Lots of buying and selling of ground and lots of hunters. Lots of deer and turkey too. Good luck.

Lots of public in the area. Pick up a sportsmans atlas and do some scouting. It's hunted hard, but enough room to spread out if Ur willing to work at it.

Very good area but like other have said, lots of hunters. I am fortunate enough to have permission to a small piece of land in that neck of the woods. Before I got permission to the private ground, I had great luck hunting many of the public sections. Piece of advice, be willing to go further/deeper than other hunters and get there/setup before they enter the woods. I've had tons of deer bumped right to me while others are coming in and getting setup. Good luck.

I've had some great fun bowhunting at Lake MacBride State Park. You would need to qualify with a proficiency test at Fin and Feather. I think the test was hitting 3 shots into a paper plate at 20 yards, or something similar.

Lots of public around there to hunt and if you are willing to drive a bit lots of public within an hour that doesn't see much pressure either.

Has anyone had any luck hunting along ely road? Our place that we will be moving into is pretty close might be a viable option.

I lived in Ely for several years and hunted a bit of private within a few minutes of town, but that's long gone now. I spent a lot of time on the Hawkeye ground, southwest of Swisher. If you have the drive and/or a small flatbottom boat, you could find some of the finest hunting around. Get a long ways from the road, and have fun.

I've killed deer and turkeys on that property and would hunt it again if I lived there. Good luck!
:way:

Top Bottom