Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting death in savanna

ajadams

PMA Member
Hunting Death In Savanna

Nov 22, 2006 11:08 AM CST

A 79-year-old man and his dog are both dead after being shot while walking in Mississippi Palisades State Park. The park is just north of Savanna, Illinois in Carroll County. The sheriff's Department says a deer hunter shot Charles Pittman and his pet.

The Illinois Conservation police say Pittman was walking in a part of the park that's supposed to be closed to all non-deer hunters during deer season. Many throughout the town say for a man who lived in Savanna, a hunting community he should have known better but agree he wasn't in the wrong.

This was the second hunting death in Illinois this weekend. 15-year old Keith Vonbehrends of Kansas, Illinois was killed Saturday when his gun accidentally discharged.

Sad, sad day when something like this happens. I know that area really well and wouldn't want to be walking through there during gun season if you know what I mean. Be safe this weekend boys

I was in the E.R. this weekend with my dad when a G.S. victim came in with #5's in his face. Ouch!! Its unfortunate people can be so careless.

Maybe he shouldn't have been walking through their, but still, who's the idiot that shot not once, but twice at targets that weren't even deer?

From what I've heard, the hunter had to shot the dog in order to get to the victim to try and help him. Apparently the dog was very possessive and wouldn't allow the hunter anywhere near the victim. Either way, it's a tragic accident and the ignorant, irresponsible hunter deserves every amount of punishment that he receives. At the very least should never be allowed to handle a firearm again.

Was this tragic, yes, but without knowing the whole story I woudn't fry the hunter yet. Does anyone know if the hunter actually mistook the guy for the deer? A few years ago I was hunting in an area where I didn't think anyone else would be. I pulled up and shot at a doe that was trotting through. My shot went into the ground behind the doe, but soon after I shot a hunter came walking out into the open from the direction that I shot in. I felt absolutely terrible, but I had no idea that he was there. Maybe this was a terrible unavoidable accident. Feel bad for all involved.

i agree dont fry him yet... dont get me wrong because it is very sad when a life is lost but come on if you know its gun season and you know theres a ton of hunters in your area i think i wouldve not walked my dog till it was over im sorry but thats commen sence

79 has a daily routine. doesn't hunt. Hell my parents are 20 years younger than him and they probably would have done the same thing, being non-hunters, and sometimes a little off their rocker.
grin.gif

WOW! Unfortunate to say the least. I would think its very hard to shoot at something if you are not very certain what it is. Human and then dog - wow. Just goes to show not everybody thinks alike. Makes you not want to hunt public ground ever just for fear of who else is out there.

Top Bottom