Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting from the ground?

cudakid67

Does anyone hunt from the ground (not in a blind). Just wondering if people ever have luck this way.

In the past I've always been in stands, but this year my wife started hunting and we went down along a creek bottom where I had never hunted before and don't have any stands set up. We set up on a hill side in some big trees and have been seeing deer (she missed a big one on our first day out). The view is great as we can see quite a ways in 3 directions. In fact, the 2nd time we hunted this spot there was a pretty good rub on a tree about 5 yards from our set up.

Any tips for this style of hunting?

It's possible, but in my opinion difficult. Hunker in tight, don't move, pull back when he's behind a tree and anticipate everything. Good luck, sounds like a neat place.

I personally prefer it to stand hunting. All though you are at eye level with them, if you break yourself up with brush I have been busted far less on the ground. I have found that a stand is good for when they come in a specific direction, but if they don't its too easy for them to sky line you. Also if you're on the ground you can still tick the horns together or grunt a bit and it won't be coming from up in the tree 17 feet. You can't beat the thrill of it either.

Hunt standing corn fields on a windy day. People have had success doing that too. Hunting from the ground can be a nice change of pace if you are getting burnt out as well.

I've shot three deer from the ground in the last 5 years. I find it quite the rush. I cleared a spot behind a huge cottonwood last weekend.

Shot my early muzzy buck from the ground. Just hunkered down next to a gnarly tree and kept my head on a swivel

I've hunted from the ground only since 1997 with bow and muzzleloader. Stay in the shadows and wait for the animal to be looking the other way or be behind something before moving for the shot.

I really like hunting from the ground. It allows you to find a spot with the right wind if your stand doesn't have it. Pretty cool to be eye to eye with a deer too. Toughest thing for me is to find a seat that allows you to draw back without making any noise while still staying concealed. Good luck!

There is a empty creek bottom that I am going to hunt from as a last result if the wind calls for it. A couple nice bucks I have got on camera using the field crossing that is built over the top of the creek to get into a field that is split down the center by the creek. My head should be about level with the crossing so they would be above me and I should be able to draw fairly easily might make for a weird angle though.

I have many tree stands on my property but so far this year I have ONLY hunted from the ground. I found a spot where I know they cross and I can see them coming from a long ways away. As soon as I see them coming, I stand up and get the bow ready. I have killed two doe this year and have been less than 10 yards away from bucks (none large enough or old enough to kill) but if the wind is right and you can see them coming from a long ways away, it can be just as effective. If you dont have a large range of view, I would move up in the air, but under right conditions, lay down and wait!

I hunt from the ground about 70% of the time. I honestly find that I can get closer to where the deer are moving. I have taken 2 of my last 4 nice bucks with a bow from the ground...No blind...Just my Ghillie. I think the key is having a very broken up suit. I attached netting to my suit and then tied on fake straw from nobbies (craft store). This year I took a doe at 4 yards with my long bow. I find that when hunting from the ground movement is what gets you caught. Find a place where the deer come out consistently...Have a shooting window, and stick to it. Everytime I get busted is when I try to move to get a shot. If the shot is not there, wait. I find that shooting a long bow is easier because it takes a lot less movement to draw the bow...With my compound, I reduce the draw weight so I can pull more smoothly/quietly.... My 2 cents.. Hunting from the ground is such a rush!

I hunt from the ground and do not brush in. I tagged oput last year both gun and bow. This year had many does with in 10 yds. All about the wind IMO.

I was on my way to my tree stand earlier this week. I got "pinned" down by a doe before I got there so I shot her. As I was gutting her I had a second one walk up to me and got her also! So yes, you can get them from the ground. But I think an experienced BIG buck is likely to bust ya! :)

I hunted from the ground all lay year used wetland camo bibs an hardwoods coat looks like a bush browsing out of the grass had plenty o deer walk by with in 10 yards. Definitely gets the adrenaline pumping

Had a doe within 15 yards tonight as I sat up against a tree. My released slipped off as I was drawing back. She took off, sneezed, then just stopped and walked away. If you stay back in the trees a little ways, you'll do just fine. Nothing more exciting than to have a deer start walking at you at 10 yards, stop and look at you in the eyes, then turn and continue on as if she doesn't know your there.

I used to do it alot when I was younger. It was always such a pain lugging around a treestand in areas hard to find trees, so I'd find a clump of weeds or a nice blow down and have a great natural blind. I killed 3 or 4 deer that way, but probably was busted twice as much as I would be in a treestand.

There's advantages to being on the ground in certain spots. With a muzzy I rarely sit in a treestand, but that's a different animal than bow hunting of course.

I've taken 3 deer from the ground with my bow. Conceal your self well, playing the wind is even more important, and you pretty much have to be completely blocked from the deers view or it looking away when you draw.

Top Bottom