Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting from Vehicles - Where's the ethics?

halielynn1

I hunted for the first time this year in N.E. Iowa. We had a great hunt however I was disgusted with the group around us. Everytime that we would make a push, there were several vehicles lined up along the road waiting for deer to bust out. When this group was not following us, they would make pushes of their own surrouning the section with vehicles and send a few walkers or even vehicles in to roust the deer.

I have hunted in Southern Iowa for the last several years. This seems to be a common practice for many hunters. I cannot beleive that someone would hunt this way! This is so unethical it makes me sick. Is a rack that important? I can only imagine how these people brag about how they shot a nice buck forgetting to mention that they ran the animal for miles with a vehicle.

I was tempted to call the local CO and report this action. I elected to refrain knowing that these "so called hunters" would be caught in time.

I was hoping that this was a Southern Iowa practice and was not adopted throughout the State. I was totally wrong! For those of you in Southern Iowa and the rest of the State that hunt ethically, I commend you. There are alot of great hunters here in Iowa. This is directed at those that are too lazy to get out of the vehicle to hunt.

Anybody can chase an animal with a vehicle. Your days are numbered and when you get caught, I pray that they throw the book at you.

You know what is sad? This IS a common and legal practice in North Dakota. I am in the ND Air National Guard in Fargo and for the past month since gun season all I've heard about is guys driving down the road and jumping out with thier rifle to take shots at deer 2-300 yards away and then they brag about it like their some great deer hunter.

In your situation, to surround someone else's drive is just plain lazy and IMO, WRONG.

The shotgun seasons get a bit unruley around here to, one of the reasons I could give a cr@p if I ever hunted one again.

[ QUOTE ]
You know what is sad? This IS a common and legal practice in North Dakota.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its also legal in ND to have a loaded uncased gun in the truck. You just cant have one in the chamber.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You know what is sad? This IS a common and legal practice in North Dakota

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its also legal in ND to have a loaded uncased gun in the truck. You just cant have one in the chamber

[/ QUOTE ]

Here too. I may sound like a jerk for saying it but there are a pile of lazy buggers that get good deer here this way. Some people never leave their vehicles. I could go on a real rant but I'll stop here. Maybe if muddy comes up fishing he can ask me about it, we'll have all day in the boat for me to rant.
grin.gif

ive hunted a ton in the western states and hunting from the truck is totally legal and a ton of people do it.... you drive around spot the animal stalk into range and so on.... do you see anything wrong with that?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe if muddy comes up fishing he can ask me about it, we'll have all day in the boat for me to rant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saskguy and muddy went fishing together in a boat one day. All was going quite well until the two started arguing over who had the biggest............

GO AHEAD AND ADD TO THE STORY.........
busted.gif

Shoot2kill beat me to it, be glad that in IA they can only use shotguns! Road rifle hunters are not only unethical, they are outright dangerous, rarely making sure of a clear background before taking a shot at their "trophy".
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Shoot2kill beat me to it, be glad that in IA they can only use shotguns! Road rifle hunters are not only unethical, they are outright dangerous, rarely making sure of a clear background before taking a shot at their "trophy".
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what gets me so bad - the guys brag about it like they put a bunch of work into taking a nice buck. I've had to bite my tounge multiple times to steer clear of an all out argument. To each his own - I'd just hate to have that be the way I was taught to hunt deer. What I don't get up there is that you can legally drive around with a loaded/uncased rifle/shotgun! That is nuts.

String Gun Shooter

It looks like you are pretty new here, but I guess now is as good as any to be chastized. If you pulled into the lot at Caseys and saw people holding it up would you be "tempted" to call the law? If these hunters were doing the things you described then what possible reason could you have for NOT making that call? I don't mean to be very harsh with you, but as long as we sit by and expect someone else to make the call to eventually get them caught where are our ethicals and morals? If these people were running deer with vehicles, trespassing, and shooting from vehicles on a roadway they are just as much criminals as the holdup guys at Caseys. Now it will be at least another year before they are "eventually caught" and then only if someone else makes the call.

As another issue, I have lived and hunted deer in SE Iowa for over 30 years and have not seen this kind of thing to be common practice, so maybe we shouldn't generalize. I have seen 2 deer killed from a vehicle, but both times involved a disabled person and the truck was in a field at the end of a draw and not on the road.
Just please remember the old saying "if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem. Put the CO number in your cell phone and don't again hesitate to use it. These are just my old man opinions but I do know that the only to change something is to try to change it!!

Top Bottom