Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting in a storm?

If you don't have anything else going on you might as well be out there. Personally I wouldn't go out until a little later in the afternoon unless I had a blind or shack to hunt out of. Getting wet and cold is no fun.

From my past experiences I would get out there right before a storm is about to end. Deer will be on there feet as soon as it stops.

My only shot so far this year at a mature deer was on the 17th in the rain. Ya just never know.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Didn't see a single deer today. All that happened was I was cold and wet...not fun. I need to upgrade my hunting wardrobe because my downpour gear from cabelas broke and won't even hold the water out now. I was in a bedding area, should have gone to the food source. I'm heading to one tomorrow because they'll probably hit the clover/turnip plot with the snow on the ground.

There were bucks in every field driving home this evening.

FWIW, my youngest son traveled to our farm this evening after the completion of all family related Thanksgiving activities and I had asked him to text me when he got there to let me know that all is well and in his "safe arrival" text 45 minutes ago, he commented that, "Tons of deer moving tonight, lots in picked beans to the east of the farm..."

In short, they sure appeared to be on the move this evening and I would suspect that they will still be moving well tomorrow AM.

Can't even get into my Jeep, let alone get out and move with the ranger on all this ice. We're one of the lucky ones that still have power. We have somewhere around 1/2" of ice on the road. This AM will probably be killer around my food plot, guess I just have to look forward to tonight if I can make it out.

Your afternoon hunt should be great. Morning hunts are getting hit and miss, or just too high risk anywhere near food, here now. We wont be doing many morning from here on.

What time do you guys head out for afternoon hunts this time of year? Im not going to be able to get to my stand until 3:45 today...just wondering if that'll be too late.

What time do you guys head out for afternoon hunts this time of year? Im not going to be able to get to my stand until 3:45 today...just wondering if that'll be too late.

As long as you're not bumping deer, its never too late. I'd personally try to be in the stand by 3 or 3:30 if possible, but I would have no problem going in for the last hour of that's all I had available

Top Bottom