Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting Missouri

mottspur

Hi everyone,I am looking for some info. on bow hunting Missouri.I did not draw a tag for Iowa or Kansas this year, so I am going to try my luck in Missouri.I have access to property in Mercer and Linn counties.Any info. would be great.Thanks and good luck to all this coming season its coming fast. Mottspur

Mottsper,
The quality of Missouri hunting varies so much that it is impossible to rate it. There are areas that have been under management for a few years now that rival anything found in Iowa or Kansas. I personally do not have access to any of them but have seen the results at the check stations and was very impressed. I would say that you will find decent hunting in any of the Northern tier of counties of which Mercer is one.
I have found in recent years that it seems as though the more open the terrain is the better the chance of seeing big deer especially areas with oceans of CRP. The deer density will often be lower, but the quality of the bucks seen more than makes up for reduced sightings. Im not really sure why this is but these areas never seem to have the pumpkin patch syndrome that is common in the more timbered areas where you will often find six or eight guys hunting an 80 acre parcel. Tough for a Buck to make it through a situation like that.
Would you be able to look over the Mercer county area before November? A lot of the check stations will have pics from last gun season that will give you a fair idea of whats around. This will be a very good year to hunt here because the gun season opens a full week later than it normally does. You can E-mail me anytime at [email protected].

Mottsper,
Me again, failed to mention another important advantage of the open terrain which is the fact that the bucks there are real suckers for the rattling horns. Not only can they hear them farther, but you can watch their reactions. Most of these prarie bucks have never been rattled to whereas the timber bucks hear it all season long starting Oct.1! They know its BS!

Mercer County borders Iowa, you'll find Linn County a little farther south. I've hunted Linn County before, but not Mercer. Both have lots of potential. Non-resident tags can be bought over the counter, they're $120, which lets you take two deer (only one antlered before gun season)and two turkeys. The Missouri Department of Conservation added a "surcharge" of $25 to nonresidents from IL, IA, KS, and OK, making those folks pay $145 to hunt the Show-Me-State. Still a bargain, as far as I'm concerned. Good Luck!

MO

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

Thanks for the replies,IALUVRFROMMO in anser to your question, yes I plan to make a trip out in the end of sept. to scout, hang some stands and possibly do a little early season hunting.You mentioned stoping at check stations,are they open that time of the year.Thanks again.
Good Hunting, Mottspur

To answer your question about the check stations, yes they will be open. Check stations in Mo. are set up with local gas stations, archery shops, etc. Not all take pics but a lot of them do. You may have to ask to see them as deer season is old news by now. More likely to be pics of gobblers and big catfish at this time of year.

Thanks again for the replies,I will put the info. to good use.I will check out the Missouri web site.Hey rackaddict is the deer in the pitcher from Missouri? Its a great deer, where ever its from.
Good Hunting, Mottspur

Mottspur, Thanks, the buck is from Zone 4 in Iowa. I hunt about 10 miles north of the state line.Two years ago I hunted in Harrison County, Mo.(next to Mercer Co.) There are some good bucks in Northern Missouri. One of my friends was taunted by a really nice 12 pointer there, to bad he never got a shot. The area I hunted had the same terrain and cropland as our Iowa spot does, the only difference is we had no time to prescout the area and only a couple of days to hunt. I think you'll have a good opportunity to take a nice buck in Missouri.
smile.gif
Good luck!

Rackaddict is right Mottspur! Also when you get to the MDC site, in the left hand column select Deer Hunting, then Fall and Turkey Hunting information, then Permit Summary. That will list all resident and nonresident license fees. According to what they have listed their it is only $120 for nonresident archery tags. They only have the surcharge listed with the firearms tag. Good luck, hope you bag a big one!

Rackaddict,

I drew a Zone 4 tag for Iowa this year (my 1st Iowa tag as a nonresident). I haven't lived in Iowa in over 20 years and grew up in Northern Iowa back then. I was wondering if you could spare some advice on Zone 4 (public areas or private).

If you can, just email me.

I'd sure appreciate it.

Jerry

Bowdoc, I have only hunted with "Headgears" in-laws in zone 4 on the family farm. They are very close to the state line and I have never really become familiar with the rest of that zone. I'm sure some of the guys on the site that are local can give you some insight on public hunting in the area and maybe even some private land. Sorry I can't be much help to you . Hey,where are you from in Northern Iowa? I started out life in Mason City.
smile.gif
How about it guys. Can you give "Bowdoc" any good information?

Hey Racaddict where in zone 4 do you hunt? My father has a farm in page county real close to the mo. border. Just wonderiing if we were hunting in about the same area. Hawkeybucker

I lived in Ringsted IA until nearly 30 years old (except when I was in college and navy). Not far from Estherville and Algona (kinda in between them). Been in NE Texas since late 1979. I'm not familiar with zone 4 area much and don't know anyone in that area either, but I'm looking forward to trying to bag a buck this fall if I can. Most of my family live near Spirit Lake, Algona and Ames now - got a brother in Primgar too.

Top Bottom