Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting mornings in early October?

All, I just got done reading another "Hunting Early Season" article and have heard several times that morning hunts in October do more harm than good. The reasoning behind this belief is that the bucks are already back in bed before you get to your stand. I know I put a lot of mornings in during the first month. What are your thoughts and experiences on this topic???
confused.gif

I dont know about that. I have saw many deer in the mornings, including some big ones that always passed out of my range. They never seemed to change patterns at all...just my imput

My feeling is if you are going to get in his bedroom get there at least 3 hours early....and be sure you are willing to screw up this location b/c i would say you are probably going to do that any time you get into his core area. Of course the up side of this technique is a big one. But if you are lucky enough to have multiple areas to hunt, or in this case potentially screw up, go for it.
rainbow.gif
use every possible precaution getting in and if you think you will try the szme spot twice, which is usaully fruitless, take those same precautions getting out. I always say the most overlooked aspect to bowhunting is the exit strategy.

I think it all depends upon the particular situation. In my area I almost never hunt a big buck mornings before October 15th or the 20th at the earliest. At that time I expect them to start checking scrapes but ultimate stealth is important if you don't want to blow a good situation. I have taken good bucks in the evening in early October on a food pattern I've determined from long range observation.

Old Buck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

I agree with Old Buck completely. I never hunt the mornings before late October and I try to hunt just the fringes in the evenings before that if I happen to get a cool day that I just can't stand not being in the stand. Good luck and be safe.

I like to hunt water sources in the mornings in early october. This allows me to spend time hunting while not burning out my november areas. This year especially water sources should be productive early on. I have a small water hole that i dug behind my house that is getting hammered everyday about eight in the morning. This is where I will be for my opening morning. I would agree with the others that I wouldn't risk your real good areas in early October.

Old Buck is right on. Mornings early in the season just aren't productive. And you educate not only bucks, but the does you want hanging around your area later in the year. I don't hunt mornings til after the 23rd of Oct. But maybe it works for someone.
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Top Bottom